My EX used to hit me, do i let him see our baby?

My babies daddy went to jail when i was 4 months pregnant, he didn't get out til Summer was 3 months, he has always had a short temper and would strike out and hit me, when he got out of jail it was alright for 2 weeks. then he got REALLY bad, he didn't hit Summer, just me, i left him, i live in another state then him now, my daughter Summer is now 10 months, he has been wanting to see her and says he loves us and wants us to be a family, i will never be WITH him, but he wants to see his daughter, do i let him? and if i do do i need to monitor there time? after all he IS her Dad.

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would let him see her with supervised visits set up by the courts. I wouldn't let him be alone with her...
    but a relationship with a daddy is a good thing even if he is a creep... as long as he never hurts her.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Was thre anything put into your divorce decree about visitation and child support? If not, you should consult with your lawyer about setting rules.

No letting him see her without you, in any event.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• we were never married, and he isn't on the birth certificate cuz he wasn't there to sign it
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I would let him see her for a short time, with you there... Make it clear you dont want a relationship with him! Good luck! :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Go to court and set up pay child support and tell them about how he was beating you, but that you are ok with supervised visits and they will probably set up supervised visits, not likely they will let him be alone with her.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Just because he never hit her doesn't mean that he won't. I wouldn't chance it. I take my LO's well being very seriously and that is one situation I would never put him in. He hit you and you never asked for it, who's to say that he wouldn't lose his temper some afternoon because the baby wouldn't stop crying and he hit her. A child that small can die because of one hit. It's your choice but I sure as hell wouldn't do it if I were you.
    Anonymous