At what age should a child stop breastfeeding?

this is more of a reaction question. just curious.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 1:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If I ever get to have a successful breastfeeding experience I would stop when they started wanting solid foods more, so probably after about a year.
    Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 2:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think about 2 years old, nursing would be maybe twice a day by this age. Enough to get all missing nutrition, since it's not always easy getting a variety into children this young, also great immunity booster.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 2:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• For me, I decided that when it quit being mutually beneficial for both me and my baby, we would be done, and it worked well both times. My oldest daughter was exclusively nursed for about 8 months, then she got so curious, so active, that she just didn't seem interested any more. With my youngest daughter, I started back to school when she was 3 months old. I continued nursing her for about another month, but I just couldn't give it all of my attention and my production declined, and so she weaned. Both times I felt like I gave them the best start I could, and they're both crazy healthy girls now at 12 and 15!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• in MY home it wouldn't be a problem til 3 1/2 ish and preschool.... I'd certainly hope to be done before then. And I'd hope it'd be only for occasional comfort at that point, maybe during bedtime story or if sleepy/crabby/sick
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• there is no right or wrong answer...whenever it is best for mom AND baby...everyones situation is different.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Whenever they want to stop. For me though I really don't know. I can't see me nursing to 2 yrs though. Perhaps like another person said at bedtime for comfort only. We've been nursing for a little over a month and still going strong. Perhaps by 1 yr we'll be done. I do have a stash of milk and I plan to continue to pump so even if were not nursing we can still using the milk in sippy cups when he is older.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

Answer by calliesmommie an hour ago
    7325 Level 19
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• – collapse
    I say do it for 6 to 10 months and be done. You don't want to go too late.
    pregers2011

Answer by pregers2011 at 7:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I stopped after 5 weeks, I was devastated to stop, but DS was constantly hungry, and looking at him now at 7 months, I can't imagine doing it now, he's too big lol! But thats just my oppinion. It's such a good thing to do as you get that bonding with your baby, but I think 6 to 12 months is long enough, everyone is different though!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 7:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The American Association of Pediatricians and La Leche League tend to have two different opinions about this subject.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2011