Inexpensive Birthday Party Menu--Help!!

I'm planning a birthday party for my DD's 17th. We are expecting between 15-20 people, ages 9 months to 83 years! Total variety of tastes but no major food groups excluded due to allergies or diet. My budget for this event was just cut & I need your cheapest menu ideas. I don't need to worry about dessert (my mom likes to buy DD's birthday desserts). If you were serving 20 people buffet style, eating on laps or blankets outside, what would you serve?

SaraBeth1204

Asked by SaraBeth1204 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Entertainment

• Build your own tacos - ground beef in bulk is fairly inexpensive, and tortillas don't cost that much, add all the good toppings, sides of mexican rice and beans.....seems like it would be well liked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Oh yeah, tortilla chips and salsa too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• That was our first thought--a taco bar.
    SaraBeth1204

Comment by SaraBeth1204 (original poster) at 2:33 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• you're in luck, it's SUMMER! Lots of nummies are cheap. I'd do corn on the cob (buy in bulk, can grill) and fancy it up in a way people maybe haven't had before with a special whipped butter and parm. cheese.

also plenty of watermelon and I'd put frozen berries as the ice cubes in the drinks

as far as mains..... I'd consider a baked potato bar since enormous fluffy baked tatos can be done in advance and then warmed on the grill. then chilli, at least 4 kinds of cheese, veggies, bacon bits, etc etc.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I was at a party today where there were 12 kids and 10 adults and the menu was sloppy joes in a crock pot, fresh fruit tray, taco dip and doritoes, the taco dip was nothing more then taking a platter spreading with sour cream that has taco seasoning blended in and then spread on tray...top with cheese shreds, diced tomatoes, and chopped lettuce
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 2:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• For my kids birthdays I have had a cookout with brats/hot dogs, a few times we did build-your-own sub sandwiches with a few different lunch meats and cheeses to pick from, mayo, mustard, pickles...for 3 of the parties my dad made a huge batch of BBQ beef sandwiches (sloppy Joes)- that was a big hit everyone loved that! Then for sides I had things like veggies/dip, fruit salad (or cut up fruit and dip), 1 or 2 cold salads like potato salad, cole slaw, macaroni salad, hot baked beans, and of course a bag or 2 of chips.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• hot dogs, burgers, pizza, all snack foods, really just go simple
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 1:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2011