Does anybody have any ideas?

Ok my sister's son is almost 6months old n only weighs 10lb n 12oz was in the hospital cause he was sick but the doctor's said it was a stomach virus but they ran all these test n could not find out why he is so small n they lebaled him as failure to thrive

whitepanther78

Asked by whitepanther78 at 2:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

• There are so many possibilities...might be he needs a different formula, mineral deficiency, etc. Labeling a baby isn't helpful at all...it only gives a vague reason for the problem without a solution. If it were me, I would either ask for a specialist recommendation, or find another pediatrician and get a second opinion.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• they have him on a special formula n they said tha he droped off the growth chart
    n is close to dangerously as failure to thrive like at the booton of the chart
    whitepanther78

Comment by whitepanther78 (original poster) at 2:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• See if she'll ask her pedi for a recommendation to an Endocrinologist. An Endo can run blood tests to check his hormone levels to see if his not growing is due to a low hormone count. My son was VERY small at 2, and he had tests run, and was put on some meds for a little bit, and had a feeding tube placed and now at 3 is growing fast. :) Good luck!
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 8:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my 4 yr old is failure to thrive. my 2 yr old is in the 90% of height and weight. My 4 yr old has severe reflux and my 2 yr old does not. Some kids are just small and dont grow as much as other kids...if the she wants a second opinion then get one
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 1:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011