• In the Spotlight:

my 16 year old son is very unhygenic, unless i tell him to bath, brush his teeth, cut his nails or clean his room, he just doesn't bother, what can i do.

angelique6

Asked by angelique6 at 2:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Has he been evaluated for depression? Not bathing or poor hygiene is a sign of depression. It's just a thought and if he is depressed counseling will help him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• keep telling him to wash or dont... when he goes back to school and wonders y the girls wont date him or y noone wants to sit by him he may change his mind and clean up...
    babymama0000

Answer by babymama0000 at 2:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• What else is he doing? I mean, what is taking up SO much of his time that bathing has become optional? Is he on his x-box 24/7 or what? And as far as the smoking goes, where is he getting the money? And who is buying cigarettes for him? He'd be doing nothing BUT showering if he was my kid cause he wouldn't be leaving the house if I caught him smoking!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• He sounds depressed. Ask your family's health care provider for a referral to a mental health specialist

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• is it bad enough he smells? like B/O, bad breath, etc? Does he wear clean clothes daily?

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I ask that because if it's bad enough for his friends/classmates to notice and he's likely been teased, it's possible he is actually depressed. Most 16 year old's are quite careful about how they look. smell, and are presented to others.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• That's unusual for a teenager. I mean, teens can be pigs but not normally to that extent. Are you sure he's okay? I mean, could he be depressed?
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• ..is he a hippie, mama?
    eatapeach

Answer by eatapeach at 2:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i have tried talking to him, but he never responds he closes up completely, i just dont know how to get him to talk to me, he has also recently started smoking. i have 5 other children in the house all younger than him and i feel his brothers are following his examples.
    angelique6

Comment by angelique6 (original poster) at 2:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• thanks all of you for your comments, i appreciate every single one of them. thank you.
    angelique6

Comment by angelique6 (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2011