Will you help us with this small problem?

We are in a little dilemma :/
We have a couple of nieces who want to come down for a week and visit but now the timing is wrong. Yes we offered them to come stay for a week with us but I was hoping sometime in June only bc I would be available for them but now here we are in July I will be very busy not to mention it will be 2 more mouths to feed. before we were ok but now money is tight and I do not want the girls (13 & 15) to think I don't want them here but my dh and I think their mom & dad just want to have time for themselves (they live 5 hrs. away).
How can we get off the hook here without making the girls feel unwanted I really don't care how the parents take it bc they are ALWAYS doing stuff alone anyway. I know it's not the girls fault but the issue here is money, my dh kidded around to his sister to don't forget your wallet she just laughed it off but my dh was serious...lol

In the past it has been ok but not this time :(

Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• ..tell his sister (?) that money is tight..you'd love to have the girls stay but she'll need to send money to help with the added expense. i just googled the average cost for a week away at camp and it's roughly $400-$700. you shouldnt feel the slightest apprehension at asking the parents to help you help THEM have a week to themselves. if you can't afford it, tell the girls! they're old enough to understand. good luck, mama. let us know how it works out. here's a bump too.
    eatapeach

Answer by eatapeach at 3:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Not much else you can do except say it straight out...you can't put your family in turmoil because someone else wants a sitter. If their mom and dad can help financially, would it make a difference? If it would, just tell them that the real issue is having to feed the extra mouths, and see what happens.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 3:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would leave the money aspect out of it all together and just tell the girls that they're going to have to take a rain-check on the visit because some things came up and you won't be available. If they seem overly bummed, make sure you tell them how much you love them and are disappointed that your visit with them this month isn't going to work out.
    Good luck
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would tell the parents that this is not the right time for you considering money is tight. If they don't take it well, it's their problem. Like "eatpeach" said above, if they were to send the kids to camp it would have cost them so much money. The least they can do during these hard times is contribute something for their daughters' stay there. Even if the girls find out, don't worry they are old enough to understand. My dd is only 9 and she understands things are tough right now. good luck.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 4:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would leave the money out as well..That part could open a whole new can of stufff...Just tell them what you said Timing is bad, several things have come up that need to be tended too, perhaps Aug might lighten...certainly its not the girls fault...
    And they are teenagers not 5 & 6 they will (or should) understand better.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I agree with all of the above...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Just tell them the timing is wrong this time ~ perhaps next time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2011