How long do we have to wait? AC is broken and My baby has a heat rash!

So our AC has not been working for a month now. It blows air but not cold air. So my husband went to the managers office to request maintenance for the AC. The repair man came last Friday and said he can't get the roof and he would come back on Monday 4 th of July. Okay so he comes on Monday and says he cannot get access on the roof again. Now I am getting really upset because were we live is HOT during the summer and I have a baby and he is getting a bad heat rash all over! All I can do is bathe him in cool water and keep him undressed. So I thought he would come Tuesday he didn't So my husband went on Wednesday to see what was going on. Well the managers told him that the repair man marked off our apartment as done as in he fixed our AC! My husband told them that was untrue and we have 2 young children at home that really need the AC! So they said they would call them and have them come out the same day. No one ever came! How long do we have to wait? I am scared that my boys will get sick and we don't have enough money to buy fans! They just raised our rent and now are charging an extra for utilities they were paying(garbage/ sewer) So all our extra cash is gone! We all feel awful during the day in this heat! Is there anything else we can do? Should I go and bug them tomorrow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Skip over the apartment manager and go to the owner, in the meanwhile, keep bathing your little ones, I know it's hot in the summertime in Texas, we have had 3 digit temperatures for weeks now. If you are paying rent, you should get all that you are paying for.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would threaten to sue them...if you are paying rent then for crying out loud you are entitled to air in your house!!! That's insane...if the manager can't get a guy to fix it, then he needs to provide you with fans...can you contact a local TV station?? We have something here called Contact 13 and once the media has a hold of that, they won't sit on their asses and let you live in the heat anymore.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• it all boils down to this: is working air conditioning listed in your lease? obviously you have a new lease listing your new higher rent and utility info ..... does it specify includes A/C? If it does NOT, you're outta luck. If they fix it for you it's out of the goodness of their heart. Unless it's listed as an apartment/house amenity (like washer drier, garbage disposal, etc etc) you have NO legal recourse.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• simple frownOur tv station wont investigate Landlord/ tenant issues.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Actually I do have legal recourse even if it is not listed in our lease which I haven't pulled up yet. I just looked up our state Department of consumer affairs and they had a huge list of tenant rights. My options include holding out rent, moving out, and such. I just think I will mail a certified letter to corporate first and see what they will do first. If not I have my options.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Ah no idea. Good Luck
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2011