How common is it that a baby is too big?

How common is it that a baby is too big and never drops? This happened to someone I know who had to have a c-section because the baby was being pressed against her cervix and never dropped. She was induced, does that have something to do with it? Has this happened to other moms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i dunno how common it is but my baby was 9lbs 9oz, and after 12 hours of labor she wouldnt budge so they made me have a c-section.
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• it happens alot actually now days. my newphew was born at 10lbs she was in labor for 48 hours pushed for 6 hours and he never would budge she had to have him my c section. but no on the other hand my bestfriend whos about the same size as my SIL had a 10lbs 2oz baby and was in labor for 7hrs and pushed her out with in 45mins. It all depends on the womens body and if her pelvic is going to expand wide enough for baby to come down.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• This happened to me. At 39 weeks, the doctor told me my baby was very big and he hadn't dropped. My birth canal never softened up, either, and he told me to think about c-section. At 39 weeks, my son was born at 8lbs, 8oz. If he had gone to term or later, it would have been very difficult.
    musicmamma169

Answer by musicmamma169 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It really isn't considered a big baby unless it has hit 12 lbs. Docs freak out when it hits 9 lbs for some reason. Induction decreases your chances for natural delivery. Induction occurs when your body is not quite ready to deliver.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I WAS INDUCED FOR 20 HRS AND THEN ENDED UP WITH A CSECTION THE NECT DAY BECAUSE MY BABY WAS TO BIG TO DROP HE WEIGHED 9.5 22 INCHES LONG HEAD WAS 18 INCHES AROUND WITCH MY DOCTOR SAID WAS M\NORMAL FOR A 6 MONTH OLD NOT NEWBORN WHEN THEY DID THE CSECTION THEY HAD TO USE A VACUM BECAUSE HIS LEGS WERE SUCK IN MY RIBS HE TRIED TO PUTS THEM OUT BUT COULDNT HE SAID IT WAS THE 1ST TIME HE HAS HAD TO USE A VACUM WITH A CSECTION. WHEN THE BABY CAME OUT HIS TOES WERE CURELD UNDER DUE TO BEING IIN MY RIBS SO LONG
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• ALSO THE DR TOLD ME IF HE WOULD HAVE ENT TO 40 WEEKS HE WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD AND I COULD HAVE BEEN TO THAT HE WOULD HAVE PUSHED INTO MY LUNGS HE WAS BORN AT 39 W 1 DAY
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My water broke at 34 weeks and I went through 3 days of labor even had pitocin during some of it. And he never dropped but i never progressed either i got stuck at 3cm and had to have one. He was only 6lbs 5ozs when he was born.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 6:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think women are scared to birth babies. Dr.'s do scans and say "oh wow-an 8 pounder!" The tests can be off as much as 3lbs. Part of the no-drop problem is the restrictiveness of labor. A laboring woman needs to be up moving, swaying, squatting, trying to stay relaxed through the contractions, eating & staying hydrated. This will all help move the baby down. No gravity-flat on your back....hhhmm no wonder this doesn't work & leads to interventions like pitocin-which in turn can lead to a c-section. Of course, there are exceptions where a baby is too big to go through the hips/birth canal either from gestational diabetes or it's just a huge baby, but most of the time it's possible as long as you listen to your body.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It is extremely unlikely that a woman's body will produce a baby that is too big. It is more likely that someone is induced, the induction fails and then they get sectioned. Don't let anyone talk you into inducing because "the baby is too big." 44% of first time moms who are induced end up with c-sections.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 7:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I was going to be induced because my doctors were concerned about baby getting too big. I ended up going into labor naturally a few days ahead of time, and ended up with a 9 pound 4 ouncer! Three days beforehand, they had estimated him at 7 1/2 to 8. They never would have let me push him out if they had known he was going to be that big. He didn't drop until about five minutes before he came out, two hours into my pushing. We were just about to go for a c-section when I decided to give it my all and get him out on my own. I have fewer fears about having a big baby in the future now! However, my recovery down there has been extra slow. At my six-week, my doctor told me to wait another 4 before having sex. 3 1/2 months later, we finally just had the most painful sex I could ever imagine...but at least we were able to do it again! I need a few days before we can try again, though! : /
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 7:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2008