Need hair color advice.

I have had blonde highlights for the last 7 years and I finally decided to switch it up. I went to the salon and got it colored brown but it has a hint of red in it (think Olivia Wilde). It is starting to fade because of the blonde underneath. Do you think I can just go get a box of color and put it over this to enrich the color? I don't care for red at all, so I was thinking just a light brown.

I'm looking for someone that has experience doing this. Obviously going back to the salon is best, but the whole idea of dyeing it brown in the first place was fewer trips to the salon which was over $100 each time and it has only been a month.

So what do you think?

Asked by HollyBoBolly at 5:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Blonde is the lack of red, for your hair to hold brown properly she should have packed the hightlights with red before drying your hair. But I really see no harm in getting a box and throwing that on your hair to cover the fade out. I have dyed my hair with the box stuff loads of times switching between colors and brands whenever I feel like a change and I have never turned my hair a wacky color. Best of luck getting your hair how you want it

Answer by DianeMary at 6:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have gotten my hair brown, blond and red and when it starts to fade i just use the box color (blonde) and it still would show my highlights, I would use nice and easy because imo it works the best and will still bring out your highlights.

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i dye my hair all the time and bleach the doc said is fine as long as not left in long period time so wont absorb into the skin.there is a cariol hair dye that only needs 10 mins,is wonderful n saves u money vise going salon n time saver

Answer by ramirezfamilia at 6:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• A box of Nice n Easy should bring that just colored look back. :)

Answer by BellaTragedia at 8:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

fyi..just because they are ringing up your items, doesn't mean they know ANYTHING about hair. if they did, they would be working behind-the-chair. just sayin'.

Answer by dullscissors at 6:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Go to a place like Sally's and ask there advice - they cater to professionals so they generally are really helpful and knowlegeful

Answer by Tess929 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011