Why am I not losing weight?

My daughter was born 4 months ago, I've been on a diet, and actually exercising and I'm the exact same weight. I did get gestational diabetes during the last couple months, i don't still have it, but I cannot get this weight off, at this point id be happy with 5lb im weighing in at 222 and I am beyond miserable.  Please if anyone knows what I can try, that doesn't cost too much I'd greatly appreciate it.

Vanessa1826

Asked by Vanessa1826 at 6:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Try interval training and maybe some running.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• do you eat any sugar & white starches? That's probably the culprit. Especially if you had GD. Even though you may be eating less calories, those bad carbs could easily keep you from losing weight.

Cut out bad carbs & sugar altogether while dieting & i bet you'll lose. Some people can't tell the difference between a good carb & a bad carb,. I suggest you google it so you can know the difference.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• did you notice you can't answers anon anymore?
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Do you know about Sparkpeople.com---it is a weight loss website that is totally free---has lots of things to help you with this issue. One thing you could be doing is thinking you are eating one portion but actually eating more----and you can also not be eating enough---if you put your body in starvation mode, it won't lose.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 7:33 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I agree with Pinkdragon, interval training could be helpful. I'd also start keeping a food journal and counting my calories. Also remember, that you only had your child 4 months ago. It took you 9 months to put that weight on. It's not unreasonable to give yourself more time to take the weight off.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• eating lean protien at breakfast will help keep you from snacking later in the day and also having protien during your last meal of the day because protien helps keep you feeling full longer
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 8:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Start keeping an exercise or food journal, or both! Writing things down will keep you accountable and will make you think twice about eating something small, like the remnants of mac and cheese in the pot, things that can add up big. I think it's easier to start with one, so its less overwhelming. So right now, I have an exercise journal. Reading it over and seeing how hard I worked and how many calories I burned, keeps me in check and I won't reach for candy at the end of the day bc I don't want to undo all the calories I burned earlier. As a new mom, though it might be easier to start with the food journal. But either one really helps!
    Bluebird8874

Answer by Bluebird8874 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• There could be a myriad of reasons...
    Do you count calories? Do you know your BMR and how many calories you need daily just to function, maintain and lose weight? You could be taking in too many calories or too few. What kind of exercises are you doing? What does your diet look like?
    I am a fitness coach and will be happy to help you. If you shoot me a pm with your age, height, weight and how many days per week you workout I will do some math for you and try to help.
    I will also second the idea of a food journal like one of the free websites. I use livestrong.com, others use myfitnesspal and others like sparkpeople.
    There is so much to know about weight loss that it would take too many blocks to explain it all...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Try keeping a food log. You might be eating larger portions than you think. Measure out your food for a few days to get a better feel of what you're eating, then use a free online tool like sparkpeople.com to see how many calories you're actually ingesting. Then, take a look at your exercise- are you exercising hard enough? Long enough? Have you been doing the exact same thing for awhile now? Might be time to change it up. Try getting a heart rate monitor- your heart rate should be getting up there (mine gets to about 160 when I'm running). You might not be working hard enough, which is very common actually. Are you breastfeeding? For some women, that can actually keep the pounds on (it did for me). You will have to work harder if that's the case. Just don't let your calories go below 1600 in a day if you are nursing (1200 a day if not). You can do this! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• 4 months old baby. Your body is just at the adjusting period to the new pre-pregnancy condition. You have gained weight in 9 months, so you have 9 months to lose it or make yourself close to the pre-pregnancy weight. Dont put too much pressure on yourself, your body might not be yet ready to get rid of weight so quickly. Unless you are on 10 almonds per day diet, which is dangerious and fatal. So again, be gentle on yourself and continue moving and reducing carbs in your diet step by step.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 7:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2011