Is it OK for the kids to switch Pediatricians often?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• While there is nothing wrong with it, I wouldn't do it. I feel the science of medicine is partly clinical and partly instinctual. In sticking with the same doctor, not only do you get a sense of the doctor, the doctor gets a sense of your kid. The doctor can tell when your child is acting normally or if something is off and, I think, can better treat him.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Honestly, unless you are moving OR think the doctor is incompetent; it is best to stay with the same pediatrician.
    By staying with the same pediatrician you build up a rapport with the doctor, the child has a sense of familiarity when having to visit, and the child's records are complete and familiar.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• As long as they can get access to all their records, i don't think it's a huge deal. At least they're going to the Dr. I have a friend who ALWAYS changes Ped. She decides she doesn't like them for some reason & then gets a new one...lol...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• same doccs wont alwasy be available n sometimes just dont like them.as long as they get their medical done is no big deal
    ramirezfamilia

Answer by ramirezfamilia at 7:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My son has the same pediatrician that was there when he was born, 11 yrs ago.
    My son knows hum & will talk to him.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• In my honest opinion, I wouldn't. You want your baby to remember their pediatrician, and if you keep bringing them to new ones, they have to readjust. Which a child shouldn't have to go through at a young age. The only reason to switch is if you don't agree with them, or they are just not right. Then I would say find a new one.
    pregers2011

Answer by pregers2011 at 7:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• NOPE! the doctors know the kids..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Agree with twinsplus2more.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it is okay to switch doctors until you find one you are comfortable with... I have changed Ped's Once. When I realized the Ped we were seeing was not the one that was best for our family I researched other Ped's and made phone calls until I found one that met our particular needs. Rather than switching over and over I did the leg work without the kids being 'involved' so to speak.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't think it is a huge deal. People that move a lot, like military families probably have to switch doctors often and it's not a bad thing it just goes with their lifestyle. I personally only had to switch pediatricians once because I moved. We have moved since then but I kept the same office even though it is a far drive but I love the doctors, I love the nurses, they can always get me it, and they know my girls.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2011