My son fell tonight - wont walk 3.5 yrs old

Eddie has PDD NOS - so he does not speak. He is 3.5 and tnoight he was playing and he fell and is now refusing to walk - he has been laying/sitting on the sofa all night, if we even go to put him on the floor to walk he refuses and wont put his leg on the ground .... we can bend his foot/toes all sorts of ways - his foot got stuck under the sofa when he fell and he seems tender on the top and its getting black and blue Im trying not to freak and think something is broken, how would I know? Wouldnt he be crying or in pain? He sure isnt acting like anything is wrong aside from not wanting to walk on it

bullynj

Asked by bullynj at 5:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my newphews arm got dislocated one time and we didnt think anything was wrong for like 24hours becuz he wasnt crying like it hurt him or anything he was just sitting on the couch the rest of the night and wouldnt really wana move his arm well the next morning when he wouldnt move it at all they took him in and it was disloated.. For your sons sake id atleast call your dr or ER. see what they think.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• you would know by going and getting xrays done before he damages something more if it is broken.. yeah he should be crying maybe its not completely broke?? I would just take him to the ER
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Take him to the ER. If you wait around and decide to take him later on then they may question you as to why you waited knowing he would not walk on it after an injury.

I have worked on a Pediatric unit before and some children just are not going to show pain like you would expect. We had one little girl come into the ER who had broken her arm and her mom said she had no clue because she didn't cry...she brought her to the ER because she noticed her daughter wasn't using her arm like the other.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• The PP is right, you wouldn't want them to question why you waited. I worked in a group home for mentally and physically handicapped adults and one morning a patient came up to me and said his toe hurt. He was walking fine, but his toe nail was kind of gross and I wondered if he split it or something so I put some ointment on it, he seemed satisfied by it, and he went on his way. I got a call for a full on investigation on why nobody reported a broken toe and foot bones...I guess by the next shift it had turned black and blue and had really bad swelling. Then they were asking me why I just put ointment on it! Well of course I wouldn't have slathered ointment on a huge black foot and called it good, but at the time, it didn't look like that and he wasn't showing that much pain! I certainly didn't think he had broken anything. Its better to be safe than sorry.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008