How do you feel about ammended bcerts- is it lying (perjury) under oath?

Adoptive parents are parents by adoption, Not by birth.

Is it susposed to be acceptable for the government to misrepresent the material facts of an adoptees conception, gestation, and birth, and then...........forbid us to see, hold and have (for whatever reason we desire) our true certificates of birth?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 7:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Adoption

• OTT or anyone... do you know how I can get a copy of my son's OBC? His adoption will be final by the fall and I really want to have that for him. I am going to put it in his baby book along with as much of his story that we know.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Here is my thing, if I am signing my child up for sports or school, is it any or your business whether or not he/she is adopted. So I don't have a problem with the "certificate" of an adopted child looking pretty much exactly like the birth certificate of a non-adopted person, but the records should be open to that person at least by the time they reach 21. And the state department should not be giving adopted people a hard time about their documents just because of terrorism. Adoption is not a new thing, They should have put specific procedures in place for amended birth certificates. But I don't have a problem with "the government misrepresenting the material facts" by amending birth certificates rather than drafting adoption certificates. A rose by any other name...

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Here is the thing..if you don't amend the birth certificate then people who have to carry around adoption records as well as birth certificates. When adopted kids get older and start to play sports and go to school they needed their birth certificates. If the birth parents names are on the birth certificate and not the legal parents then there could be problems. I don't think it is lying and the original birth certificate is held in the town hall, although it is inaccessible unless the court orders it to be retrieved.

So as a parent whose oldest child was adopted by my DH I am glad that the birth certificate was changed. Although my son knows who is bio father is, he looks at my husband as his daddy. If the birth certificate was not changed then I would have to answer a lot of questions at the school that I just don't feel I need to.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I am not a child of adoption nor do I have an adopted child but I was raised with an adopted sister.

IMO I understand there are probably privacy issues keeping adoptive parents from having the originals. This I am guessing is to protect the birth parents from contacted when contact is not wanted. I can understand an adult/older child wanting the original also but it just make sense to me for the certificate to be amended. It has worked for years that way with no foul to the system but I do honestly understand that some adopted persons could have a strong desire to see it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• natural moms-did you ask to keep records closed to your children forever?"
    This would be laughable, if it were from someone other than you Adopteeme;) I was not even made aware that I could have a copy of their certificates, nor aware of certificates being "made up' to portray that the adopters would be listed as if "giving birth to"...so NO is my answer of course. I damn sure do not need anyone to protect me, and NEVER from my children, I am a big girl and handle life quite well. Why is there not a certificate of Adoption issued? After-all ,if we are 'BirthMoms" why are we not listed on their 'Birth Certificate?" However, I suspect I know the answer to that one;) Finally, Open All records of Original 'true" Birth Certificates...I promise I don't need be protect, and suspect any Moms out there will surely feel as if they can protect theirself as well,JMHO! Good points to ponder Adopteeme,Serenity,CJ~
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• natural moms- did you ask to keep records closed to your children forever?

NO. Not only did I not ask for it, I don't feel like I have the right to it. I don't have a right to privacy from my twins why should I have the right to privacy from the one I gave up? Why should birth mothers have extra rights over other mothers? This is about equal rights.

The fact is we know darn well birth mothers were not promised privacy. They weren't promised anything, they were told that they weren't allowed to ever see their children again, they lost all their rights.

The fact is that survey after survey has shown that birth mothers didn't ask for privacy from their children and nor do they want it. See the research from the Evan B Donaldson Institute for Adoption.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My DD's amended birth certificate is not a lie.

It has a space for "Mother" and it has my name.
    It has a space for "Father" and it has DH's name.

It does not say "Woman who gave birth" or "Man who provided sperm" or "Mother at time of birth" or "Father at time of birth." If it did and we were listed there, then yes, it would be a lie, but it's not. I am her mother and DH is her father. The birth certificate is a legal document and since we are legally her parents, there is no necessary reason for additional information.

If I come across as disrespectful in any way here, I don't mean to...but I do not see anything on her Certificate of Live Birth that is not true.

With that all being said, I am betting that DD's OBC isn't all on the up and up and completely "lie free"...although I have never seen it, I'm highly doubting that BDad's name is listed.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I was never promised, nor did I ever ask for or want anonymity!!

A Certificate Of Live Birth is a statement of the FACTS of the birth of an infant. The child was born from the body of the mother, created from her egg and the sperm of the father of the infant. Those are the facts that should be recorded on the birth certificate, as it is a CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH.

I believe that it IS wrong to pass off an ABC as a true and legal document of birth when it is not. The ABC should be known as a Certificate of Adoption (which lists the (adoptive) mom & dad), not a Certificate of Birth. I also believe that all people should have legal access to their OBC, not just those who are not adopted.

@ochsamom ~ I think it's wonderful that you know the importance of and want to get a copy of the OBC while you can.
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My child's bmom was given a copy of the OBC: we know this because we were "warned" that the certificate was out there should she ever try to use it fraudulently to obtain state benefits, get a social security number, etc. Birth certificates apparently go for big money in ID theft rings. We told that if we could keep the invalid birth certificate in as few peoples hands as possible, it would be to everyone's benefit.

Never did get the answer to whether birth certificates have length, weight, time, exact location etc on it? Does anyone know...it sounds
    Ike a lot of people are fighting for the OBC because they want that.

SandalsKitty

Answer by SandalsKitty at 5:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• If the adoptive parents have a copy of the OBC, then they can share that information with the child when they feel the time is right before the child is 18. But the ABC should serve as identification for the adoptee IMO.

To try to answer the question about if the weight, height, time of birth etc. are on the OBC, there are spaces for all that information and a lot more on my ABC but it is all left blank. I'm not sure if it has to do with long form vs short form but at some point that information was recorded somewhere and should be available and I assume it is on my OBC but don't know for sure.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2011