Am I overprotective?

I have 2 boys, ages 7 & 5. Our backyard is fenced, and we have a dog. I do not let my kids play in the front yard, only very very rarely when I am with them, and I don't let them play in the backyard alone, maybe for a few minutes while I stick a roast in the oven or peel a few potatoes for dinner, maybe to pee or get the phone. Oh, we have a pool back there, too, although they never go near it.

I have a neighbor, who has like 5 kids, two of which are close in age to my kids, one is even in my youngest son's class at school. Her kids run the neighborhood and she is never outside with them. She comes out to check on them every now and then, but not often.

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 6:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't think you're being over protective at all. I don't let my kids play in the front yard alone, but they can play in the fenced in back yard. I let them go out there alone, but I do check on them often. Our neighbors also let their kids play out front alone, granted they are little older, 10 and 12 I think, but they have been doing this for years. (I think they've lived there for 6 or 7 yrs) I'm a little suprised by it because we live on a busy road, plus their kids just come and go as they please, but I guess it's not my place to say. I keep an eye out for them when I see them out, but that's all I can do. As far as my own kids, if I don't feel comfortable, they're not going to do it. Just do what you feel is right for your family and don't worry about it!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• They came over today, and wanted to know if my sons could play, so I went out in the front yard so they could all play together(the dog is a little agressive with people he doesn't know, that's why we didn't do the backyard). They played for like an hour, and I only saw her at the end of that hr when she called for the kids b/c dinner was ready. Our dinner wasn't even started yet b/c I don't let my kids play outside w/o me. I've always thought I was being a good parent, but now I'm wondering...am I, or am I being overprotective and going to end up with my kids being screwed up b/c I wouldn't let them play alone?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• no! what if some idiot comes speeding through the neighborhood and your not there to get your kids out of the road? i mean they can play alone in the backyard if the pool is fenced in but if not i sompletely see your concern.
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i dont let my 7 year old play in the front yard alone he can play in the back yard by himself but i check on him every 15mins or so. we dont have a pool in our backyard though. Id say if your pool is fenced then you could let them play alone out back but not in the front.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My son is 7 and he isn't allowed outside at home alone, unless he is dumping the rocks out of his shoes...long story. At MIL's house, he can play in the back yard alone, but it is completely fenced off, the latches are way over his head, and we check on him every 15 minutes or so. Provided you completely have the pool secured, I would allow them out for 10-15 minutes at a time.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think that everyone does what is best for them. If you are not comfortable with letting your children play outside without you then that is okay. It is also okay for your neighbor to let her kids play outside. I have 3 children and my boys, ages 11 and 9, are allowed to go across the street to their friends house and they are allowed to play in the front or the back with out being there. My daughter is 7 and she is not allowed to do those things.

She is allowed to play in the back yard, if she has a friend with her.

I think everyone has to do what it best for them.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think it depends on where you live. A lot needs to be taken into consideration - traffic, neighborhood crime, or other dangers, etc.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2008