Coping w/a devasting breakup : ( and left to try to explain this to our 2year old son who cried himself to sleep last night asking for daddy. any advice on this ladies : (

aprilrb81

Asked by aprilrb81 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• Good luck mama! Bump for you!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 8:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Stop trying to explain it to him. Just tell him, " Daddy is at work". My DD broke up with her DH and that is what we would tell her 21/2 year old. It seemed to work. He is to young to understand what is going on.

Answer by louise2 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Don't try to explain, he is way too young, just let him know that you both love him, daddy is at work, on vacation, etc. Depending on his maturity level, you may even be able to tell him Daddy doesn't live here anymore. Time will pass and it will get easier, I went through it with my son at the same age. Unfortunately, my ex is a real jerk and hasn't seen his son in 19 years, but I figure, he's the one that missed out, my son has had a dad since he was 4, and he has turned out just fine. Good luck to you!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• While he may be too young to completely understand what's going on, he can still sense something in his little world is wrong. When he gets in the mood to see his daddy, give him an extra hug & tell him it's from daddy. During the day time, let him draw a picture to give to daddy the next time he sees him. (I hope he will remain in his son's life) If he turns out to be an absentee father, I hope you have close male friends or male family members than can give your son some "guy time". Good luck to you both! *hugs*
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Don't lie to him by telling him Daddy's at work or whatever. But don't try to explain either; he's too young to really understand it. He knows something isn't right, but he won't be able to understand what it is. I mean, think about it: you're an adult and YOU probably don't understand.

Just tell him Daddy's not here right now. As much as it might hurt, let him talk about Daddy and don't get frustrated when he asks to see him. Hopefully your husband is going to stay involved, and if so, maybe you two can make an arrangement that you can call and put your son on the phone whenever he misses Daddy. Maybe even see if Daddy could stop by for a few minutes every day or at least pretty regularly, to help ease the transition for your son.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2011