Psychologist vs. caseworker?

I've been searching for a psychologist in my area for a while now and cannot seem to find anyone that accepts my insurance. I tried going through my insurance's website and it says "no providers available" so I've just been calling different places and today I got ahold of a psychology office that said they do not currently have any psychologists on panel with my insurance but that they do have a caseworker and said that she can do the same kind of therapy as a psychologist. That seems weird to me so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about speaking with a caseworker about their mental health issues as opposed to a psychologist and if they really are trained to do the same work as a psychologist or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Health

• bump

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Now that I think about it I think she may have said "social worker" so I'm guessing she was referring to a "clinical social worker" so insert -clinical social worker- in place of the caseworker lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I wonder if the caseworker simply hasn't finished getting their qualifications. I would say to go for it and get some help but keep looking if the caseworker isn't satisfactory.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have heard of psychiatric social workers. Perhaps you should request one of them, or one who is a social worker with a university degree in psychology.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 4:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2011