What's it like having a husband in the Air Force?

my husband is thinkin about joinin the Air Force. we have a 15 month old son and a baby on the way. im just wonderin if its worth him joinin. i dnt kno how stressful it would be. i just want to kno wat to expect if he does join. please anyone!! any advice would help.

lovinlilman

Asked by lovinlilman at 10:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• Well dont' expect a big paycheck. But it's not bad. My hub was AF for 12 years. If he joins he will be gone for a few months with basic training and tech school, you won't be allowed to join him at either. Then after that you will get your first duty station. Live on base if you can. If lucky then you will be assigned to a big base that has everything you need or at least close to a town. It's not a bad way of life.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• yea they said basic will be 8 weeks, then depending on wat job he chose longer. he was thinkin about doin the SERE, which is a 3 week class. its something he really wants to do. im just worried about bein a way from all my family and friends having a 15 month old and a baby due in dec.
    lovinlilman

Comment by lovinlilman (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My hubby has been in 12 years and I also was in the AF. Actually it's not true that family can't join you in tech school. It depends on the school and how long it is if they will authorize it. Usually for most schools they don't, but many people do move with them and live off base on their own dime. It all depends on which job you husband gets on the stress level and how frequent he would be gone. SERE is a very difficult school and many do not get completely through it and have to be retrained. As far as children, the military lifestyle is hard on any child. Think about your living situation now. Can you pay your own bills, are your able to take on everything your spouse normally does in your home and can you libe hours, thousands of miles from your other family members. Different bases have varying levels of support systems so you may have lots of help and friends and one, or you may have none and not knowanyone.
    Dakee

Answer by Dakee at 10:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• As far as pay, I think it's good in light of what shape today's economy is in. Especially if you keep yourself debt free as possible. You get free housing (either living on base or a housing allowance for living off base). Medical care is also free, unless you choose to see off base providers.
    Dakee

Answer by Dakee at 10:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• well if he did join i'd move in with his mom so i wouldn't have to worry about payin rent or anything. i have 2 jobs myself so ill be able to care for myself and my son while he was away.
    lovinlilman

Comment by lovinlilman (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2011