How do you get rid of fruit gnats?

They are driving us crazy!! I was gone for 4 days last month, and dh by himself wasn't enough to fill the trash, so he didn't take it out, nevermind throw away the brown bananas on the counter. We do dishes after every meal, and don't have garbage strewn through the house. Food is only allowed at the kitchen table. I have been sucking them up with my vaccuum hose, but please! There has to be a solution!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 10:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Basically you are just going to have to keep killing them until all gone.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We had a problem with these once and my husband got so fed up he started zapping them with a torch. I had forgot about that until this post, it was so funny. LOL I set off a fogger to get rid of them.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Fruit Flies only have a one day life cycle.... get rid of their food source and they will go in a day or two!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm with Crafty...get rid of the fruit and they will be gone quickly.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• So I'm gonna have to just not eat for 2-3 days? I don't understand! The only time food is out is when we are eating! After dinner, all is covered up, thrown out, and washed! We even started putting food trash in a Walmart sack and taking it outside to the dumpster.

They are so frustrating, they're getting so desperate and brave they are landing on our dinner!
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i had the same problem. even after i cleaned my kitchen they lingered for a couple days. if you have a garbage disposal make sure it is clean too they like to go there. i found online if you set out apple cider vinger they will go for that, but when i did it they sat on the side of the bowl didnt go into it like i hoped. Good Luck.

btw it did take a couple days and now they are gone in my house.
    spagal99

Answer by spagal99 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Put apple cider vinegar into a cup or bowl and add a couple drops of liquid dish soap they will be gone in a couple of days.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Spagal, we are going on 3weeks! I have been extremely meticulous... it's like as soon as we think they're gone, 20 more come back! I tried insect spray, putting soap on the edge of the sink where they gather... no avail!

Thanks ladies!!
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Vinegar
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have used fly paper, but it can be messy. I can't stand the gnats near the bananas. Where do they come from? The house can be spotless and there will be gnats by the bananas.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011