how can i help my daughter whos in kindergarten to listen and follow directions

Some days shes fine and some days she just doesn't listen, interupts the teacher and doesn't follow directions someone help!

jgardner

Asked by jgardner at 6:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like a typical 5 yr old to me. Some schools now-a-days expect WAY too much out of little ones sometimes. When I was in Kindergarten, it was all finger painting and square dancing... and when it was reading or writing or math, it wasn't sitting in an assigned seat ---- it was learning through games & play.

It's not like that in schools any more. I probably couldn't sit still that long consistently... it's a flippin' miracle ANY 5-6 yr old can LOL

So really... I wouldn't sweat it. She's being NORMAL. Just let her be. If she's still doing it in 2nd grade.... then ask for help. ;-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• While I agree with the pp, I am a second grade teacher and if my students do not know how to follow directions I don't get things done. She is still a little young to expect her to listen and follow all directions all day long. I would practice at home. One step directions. When you think she is good with those, start two ste directions. You can always ask her to repeat the directions back to you so you know she is listening. You can also ask her questions to make sure she understands. Have patience and celebrate the small successes. Asking her to help you out will be helpful to both of you.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I went through something like that last year. My son was in fourth grade and couldn't sit still. His teacher had put him in the back of the room because he was starting to unintentionally disrupt class. His teacher was wonderful. She suggested that, when he feels the need to fidget, he reach into his desk and pull out a rubber band, paper clip or something small. He was able to control his fidgeting this way. I hope this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• try doing activites that require her to listen and follow directions. Cooking and baking are great ways for them to learn to follow directions.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008