Kitty Litter box suggestions

We have only one cat, she is a kitten. We have a cheapy cat box, it does the job you know? But we are having to clean it wicked often cuz of the smell! So any suggestions on a good cat box that will keep the smell away?

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 10:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Pets

• A good scoop-able cat litter we use Cat's pride and we sprinkle some of the (A & H cat deo) btw kittens are STINKY for a little bit esp when you first get them because of being in a new home,food,etc. Enjoy your furbaby :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We get the cheap clear plastic totes at Home Depot and cut a hole out on one of the long sides. The cats will use it with the top on which keeps the dust and smell down. We use good scoopable litter and scoop every morning. You can also get a box of the litter deoderant and use a litte of that each day.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 10:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You can get one of those covered litter boxes. We use ours when we have to have the box upstairs, otherwise we just put it in the basement. Also use a scoopable litter and scoop it every time the cat goes. I did this when the kittens were little and we didn't have odor problems. Congratulations on your kitty!

Answer by Bmat at 10:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Use Feline Pine.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Tidy Cat scoopable has several kinds that are good with controlling odor ... Small Places, 24/7 Performance ... and they are designed for multiple cats so it should work great for a single kitty. Oh and I would think about getting a covered litter pan.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I just use walmart brand plain clay litter and sprinkle baking soda in it to keep the smell out. It's MUCH cheaper than shelling out for 'cat deodorizers' that are really just baking soda with fragrance added. lol I never thought of using a plastic tote with the lid on- I'll have to try that for my cats!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• even for one cat, it is recommended to clean every other day, or every day.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We have a covered cat little box. I use Fresh Step scoopable for multiple cats. I scoop it out twice a day.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I agree with hollydaze's answer. Also, when you clean the litter box, hose it out and spray it with Lysol prior to refilling with litter.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My cat goes outside but on the rare occasion he needs to be inside (injuries, sickness, etc.) we use litter made out of sawdust pellets. They neutralize the smell, not much is needed, there's no dust issues and it's not too pricey.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 4:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011