Why are so many people on here obsessed with other peoples foodstamp usage?

alboston

Asked by alboston at 10:34 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Shopping

• I actually never noticed that.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Are they? I have seen obsession about coupons but I can't recall seeing anything about food stamps more than once before this question.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I really didn't notice...
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Because so many people have too much time to judge others, frankly. I've seen posts about seeing moms in nice cars, using nice phones, having 324 kids and paying with food stamps. Rarely do we know the whole story behind someone using food stamps, and people seem to jump to the conclusion that these people are abusing the system. Time to find a productive hobby! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Because the money that goes out in any PA program is coming from taxes that we all pay in. Why should our tax dollars pay for things like convenience store junk food?

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Because it makes them feel superior to sit in judgment of those that use food stamps.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Nosy people? I don't know.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• ive seen a few questions about it and then just saw a post in the new moms group. I received food stamps from 2002-2004 for myself and my daughter because i needed them, so it drives me crazy when i see people bashing food stamp recipients because no one knows their story.
    alboston

Comment by alboston (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Because we want to know where our tax dollars are going. When I read posts about selling food stamps and we paid what amounts to my entire salary in between our work taxes and capital gain taxes, I get a little worked up wondering how someone gets so much that they are able to sell them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i get pissed about seeing people in name brand clothes and shoes paying with a foodstamp card, but how do i know that stuff wasnt a gift or bought from a second hand store. We are to quick to judge! It is the case workers job to investigate these people to make sure they have a need for the money. it is also the governments fault for making it so easy for people to receive benefits. If you are really upset then actually do something about it that can provide results. my husband makes 6 figures by himself and im about to be a teacher. We are paying taxes out of the wazoo as well. My point is sitting on cafemom judging people (because that is really what yo uare doing) isnt going to solve anything.
    alboston

Comment by alboston (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2011