Have you ever heard of this at a wedding???? WEDDING DAY ARRIVED!

A KID TABLE

I have heard of a table with activities and such. I am talking about a table where ONLY the kids eat. They do not sit with their parents, but eat at a separate table all together. My brother is doing this for his wedding, and I don't like it. My 4 yo and her 7 yo cousin will be placed at this table. He is also placing my 12 yo niece there, (along with 5 other kids on the bride's side). I am not sure how a 12 yo WILL LIKE THAT either. I asked my brother why the kids could not just eat with t heir parents, and go to the kid table after dinner for activities. Him and his fiance INSIST on this kid table. I hope my DD does okay. I thought she'd get to sit with grandma while I was at the head table.

It is their wedding and I don't want to be a bitch. I just find this very strange.

I should mention, the wedding is next week, and my brother informed me of this kid's table 2 days ago. I've been telling my 4 yo that she gets to sit at a table with grandma and her aunt and uncle, for months. I've been trying to just prepare her for the whole event, for she is VERY SHY and gets nervous easily. That's why this kid table thing took me off guard, and I was curious as to if anyone has seen this before. I hope ALL does go WELL with it. Plus my brother has decided to leave open seats at the adult table, in case DD and her 7 yo cousin want to move. It brings me relief.

I MADE A POST ON PAGE 4

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• At a wedding no, we do it for the holidays every year so I guess i could see that.. what a mess that will be!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I see some "Wildest Wedding" videos in the future.............
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I know of people that have done that before. But kids under 5 ate by their parents because they knew that some of the kids needed help when it came to eating....that way they didnt make a huge mess. But after they ate they went to the kids table...my moms 2nd wedding you could not bring kids under 12. She just didnt want a bunch of kids running around. But to each their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Kids' tables have been a long standing tradition for hundreds of years. Adults want to have uninterrupted conversation, which won't happen with a 4 yo wedged between them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• this was done at my friends table and it was NOT a success. One of the brides friends was just randomly selected at the reception to supervise the kids and my daughter spilled her drink TWICE on the table. it definitely wouldve been better if the kids were seated with family.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 10:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We did this at our wedding- but it was more for the 10-16 year old cousins to sit together. Little kids should be w their parents for the meal.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Not at wedding, but we used to have that at my grandma's for holidays, but you weren't "forced" to sit there, it was more of a choice because we thought adults were boring!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Ann true. However if my 4 yo or 7 yo nephew needs assistancewith their meals (cutting-buttering bread), grandma or auntie or uncle will have to LEAVE their table to assist. It seems like MORE a pain in the ass imo. I don;t want my 12 yo niece responsible at all. My mom was all prepared to have DD at her table. That's why I find is odd.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• A tween or teen table I could totally see but anything under 5 is just silly to have at their own table
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• kids tables are a staple for any occasion in our family... we love our children but when there are a bunch of adults grouped together we dont want them all up in an adult convo. unless they are still young enough where they are in the high chair, at that age they cant even talk back let alone understand what we are talking about.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 11:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011