Out of body experiences?

I've had a couple of near out of body experiences. Both occurred at night, in a state in which I was totally relaxed and aware that I was still awake, but on the verge of falling asleep. The first time it happened, I felt myself rising within my body. I got so freaked out that I was about to leave my body that I reached out to clutch my husband. Shortly after, I felt secure in my body again. The second time this has happened was just last night. I enjoy sleeping with the television on (security thing, I guess) and I would wake up at various points of the night, notice that the television was on, and go right back to sleep. Well, one particular time I woke up, I decided I'd try to induce an OBE. As I was laying on the bed, in a near sleep state but still consciously awake, I concentrated on leaving my body. Almost immediately, I felt myself rising up out of my body and I partially made it out. The experience felt so real, that I remember thinking to myself, 'this is real!'. I tried to stay relaxed and go with the flow, but after partially making it out of my body, I began to see these spots of different colors at the front of the room. Each spot had a rainbow of colors within it. I then got freaked out and tried stopping the experience by shaking my husband awake. When he finally woke up, I felt safe in my body again. Later on, I asked my husband whether I had awoken him earlier and he said that I had shaken him awake. These experiences definitely feel different than my regular dreams and I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. Fear has prevented me from having a full OBE experiences (as I'm sure that if I stayed relaxed, it would have happened) because I don't want to come into contact with anything negative, or have another soul enter my body (because I've heard that can happen, too). What are your experiences with such things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• One night I had one. I was floating in my basement and noticed that the dog pooped on the floor. When I woke up the next morning, the dog HAD pooped on the floor lol. I also had them after I had my hysterectomy, I was "floating" around the hospital halls
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Maybe it is just meditation. I was at the chiropractor once getting that electric pain treatment thing...and for once i was not in pain. I became so relaxed I felt like I lifted up off the table and I was floating and turning in a circle. They told me it is meditation. I do not believe that we have the ability to remove our soul from our body. (astro projection)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• ive had a few. the first when i was a teenager..i got up to pee, exited the bathroom and walked back to my room, where i saw myself sleeping. it freaked me out
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 11:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have those a lot. I write about some in my books
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm not sure about out of body experiences where you know what's going on or can control it. Not saying any of you are lying, I've just never experienced that.
    I have had a near death experience though. I had my drink spiked with something at a bonfire and was throwing up, then laid down and started convulsing. One friend was holding my upper body while another was holding my hands praying. I all of a sudden felt myself go limp, saw myself and my friends from a bird's eye view and was just watching them crying. About a minute later I opened my eyes and was back in my body looking up at them. It was the freakiest thing I've ever experienced. I honestly think I died for a minute.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I had many in my younger days--the teens thru the early thirties. I never enjoyed the sensation and could never remember where my spirit went on these walks. Coming back I had the classic difficulty in breathing, inability to move, and fear that come with trying to return to my body. After a few times of saying out loud, "I DON'T want to do this ever again." they stopped. I couldn't see a point to them if I couldn't even remember where I went or what I did.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Nope...and after reading these stories...I don't want to!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I am asleep when all these things happen so I can't control what my mind does but sometimes it seems ridiculously real and I am always traveling places
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I do believe some can astral project, but I'm not one of them. I have read some frightening things about it, so I'm content living without the experience lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I haven't but my aunt did.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2011