To moms with special needs kids: Do you have a family member/friend who treats your kid like 2nd best?

My mom is like this. She says she doesn't know how to relate to my son with autism,but she doesn't even try! When we're over there she stares at him like he's a frog in a specimen jar. Ever since my cousin had her kids that's all I hear about. How cute they are,how smart. Yeah,I'm jealous,but with good reason. My son is my mom's ONLY grandchild. It kills me that she'll go and buy clothes and toys for these other kids but has never done this for my son. When his birthday and Christmas roll around,she begrudgingly gives him cash because she says she doesn't know what he likes even though she's had 10 years to get to know him! It breaks my heart that those other kids get all the love and attention.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• "honestly sometimes people cant relate to specail need child and its really not anyones fault" BULL CRAP! anyone can learn and make an attempt. We are not talking about things that are mysterious, Autism, ADD/HD, Down syndrome, and most other disabilities are well known and people who actually care will take the time to learn how to relate. We are not talking about taking them as your own children to raise, or to provide medical care or other type of care-giving needs that a child with physical disabilities may need. We are talking about not making an effort.

As far as the other extreme, that is not permissible either.  My oldest child does not have special needs.  I expect that all three of my children will be treated at an age/developmentally appropriate level.  These are not negotable in my family or from close friend.

quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 8:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My brother is a special needs kid (well, he's 21 now, but he's still about 10 mentally so I see him as a kid). My grandma was like this. At first I thought it was because he was a foster kid, then adopted. But, my aunt started doing foster care and my grandma never treated her foster kids like that. He's not around her enough to notice, but everyone else has. It's sad.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thankfully no. In fact it's the opposite. Lucky can do no wrong and is spoiled by the family while the other kids are judged differently.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 11:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have an aunt who is but we treat her as if nothing is wrong with her. My mother is the youngest and she is the oldest and we respect her and make her feel comfortable. She is still human and deserves to be treat that way
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 11:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• honestly sometimes people cant relate to specail need child and its really not anyones fault .....just love your son and shield him from it as much as possible......i know i have a special needs child and a grandparent (my ex MIL) and she just doesnt get ....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2011