Hurt hand... cheerleading practice.. WWYD?

So as it always happens--something goes wrong right before an activity!

Last night my 4.5yo DD was skating around the house (yes, inside the house- we dont have wood floors) and fell on her wrist..
This morning she says her wrist doesn't hurt unless she moves it.
Well tonight we where going to take her during their practice to sign DD up for cheerleading (Coach said last weekend to bring her to practice to sign her up)
Im sure when we go they will throw dd in to get her started.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is the wrist swollen at all? I'd have a dr. check it just to make sure it's nothing more serious than a sprain. If it's just a sprain, wrap it and take her to cheer practice. At her age, their not going to be doing any tumbling, acrobactics or lifts so she should be just fine.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Being a Sports Med professional working in HS/ Youth Athletics I personally would NOT put her in Cheerleading this young for way more reasons that I care to write at the moment, maybe gymnastics but not cheer leading!

Other then that it sounds like a sprian, your Doc can tell you for sure. If she must cheer then I'd put an ace wrap on the wrist for the day, take her to the sign ups, and just tell the coach no tumbling or lifts for her until the wrist heals!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• as a mom of cheerleaders, i say call your doctor and explain the injury (you may have to take her to the doctor) and then take her to the practice (girls that age mostly just jump around/yell cheers and have a good time.....nothing that should hurt her hand more....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would take her to the doctor first!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• crafty- im curious why Cheer leading is so bad at this age?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Well its been a few hours since Ive posted.
    She is doing pretty good with her hand. She says it still hurts a bit but she has been playing tug-o-war with our Lab, and doing other things. She does favor 1 hand still a bit but her wrist is not swollen, bruised, or warm to the touch. :-)
    We are not going to practice tonight & have decided we will sign her up on Saturday -- So her 1st time at practice wont be until Tuesday I believe. :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011