Which of these sewing machines is best?

Singer Model 6233, used

Singer Model 500A (all steel parts), used of COURSE

Brother PC-210 PRW limited edition project runway sewing machine, new

I could get either singer for $150, or the brother for a little over $300. Should I check into the singers? I know the guy who services them and he could tell me about them, also I would be able to sew on them to see if I liked them. But I also like the idea of the Brother. I just need to upgrade to something that won't need servicing very often. Right now I have one of the more expensive walmart singers from maybe 5 years back.

dixie383

Asked by dixie383 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I've personally never used nothing but Singer sewing machines. I love how tough they are
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i would say none (and i have that Brother machine). look into Janome machines. Singer and Brother machines are almost always made with plastic parts and made to be disposible.
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 11:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The singer 500A is all steel parts. But it is really old. The lady that has it said she bought it in @1940 for $600.
    dixie383

Comment by dixie383 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• oh and twosugars, could you tell me the good and bad about the brother? Just curious. :)
    dixie383

Comment by dixie383 (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Maybe this review will be helpful:

http://www.consumersearch.com/sewing-machines

In choosing a machine, you most need to consider the kind of sewing you do. If you do (or plan to do) machine embroidery, or freemotion quilting, you need to find something that accomodates those applications. If you are primarily doing straight seam stitching, a more basic machine is for you. Older, belt-driven, machines tend to need regular oiling and servicing. Do you use/need a lot of different presser feet? Might you want to add attachments later? Things to consider. GL  :-)

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I make cloth diapers and nursing covers. So all I really use is straight stitch and three step zigzag. I mostly only use one standard foot. I do need the function where the needle can sew off center, if that makes any sense. I use stretchy materials and plain cotton wovens. I don't really see myself doing quilting or embroidery.
    dixie383

Comment by dixie383 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I tried that website and all i got was confused. LOL
    dixie383

Comment by dixie383 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i use it to make cloth diapers. it really just doesnt have the power i need to be able to sew through all the layers of a fitted cloth diaper and forget about sewing a nightime fitted diaper. i tested several janome machines and i just adore them. they are super user friendly and really fun to use. I dont have to worry about having too many layers to sew through. i sewed through 12 layers of cotton! my brother could handle maybe half that if im carefull. i like how you can sew multiple types of fabrics and not have to change your tension. i sewed from cotton to satin to denim to muslin and not once did i have to adjust anything. they are also very quiet machines. the brother gets very noisy with just the smallest bit of lint in it.

my suggestion to you is to test many brands with a dealer (not walmart, joanns, etc...). most good dealers will also give you free lessons so dont be afraid to ask for them!
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 6:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thanks! I may have to see where the nearest Brother dealer is. There is a Janome dealer near me (that is the local service shop) and I think I will take some things over there and try it out.
    dixie383

Comment by dixie383 (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• :( the closest brother dealer is almost two hours away. not sure it is worth it, after hearing what you (twosugars) had to say...
    dixie383

Comment by dixie383 (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2011