Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can she do this

I have a friend who pays child support and has always been active in his daughters' lives but now their mother is moving out of state with the girls and he wants to know if she can actually move out of state.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • A friend of mine moved out of state and the father went to court the day after she "offically" moved into her new house and got full custody b/c she left with out permission from him and the court. She still only has summer custody of her son.

    Answer by Carajust at 8:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • If they have a parenting plan she HAS TO give 60 days written notice. Have him look at his plan at the very back pages, it should be detailed back there. If he objects to it, he can file a motion...but no, she cannot just up and move. If they move out of the school district he has to be informed in writing

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • A parent can be charged with parental kidnapping if they take the child out ot state without the other parents or the courts approval. The child is a resident of the state the child has lived in for X amount of time. Look into your states family laws and see what you can come up with. I don't think it's right for a parent to "just move away" especially when it's going to rob the child and the other parent of their relationship.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • If she plans on going at not letting the court know she is in contempt. He should notify the court asap. I don't agree with women taking their children away from their father like that if they are truly being a father.


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • My mother had to fight in court to move away from her abusive ex. He owed $3000 in back child support and hadn't seen my sister in 6 months. I would imagine it would be a lot harder for this woman to move legally considering he is trying his best to be a good influence and follow the court order. He should contact the courts or his attorney.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • My daughter's biological father doesn't even live in the same state as me and has never seen her (she has always known my SO as her dad and I'm thrilled) but I would still need his permission and/or a court order against his wishes in order to be able to move out of state. I'm sure what she is doing is illegal.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • She has to tell him but the courts are not going to stop her from trying to have a better life or a life in sad because I don't think she is taking her kids feelings into consideration. I really cannot stand the sight of my ex but even I could not be that cold.

    Answer by salexander at 7:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • Probably not. And the courts will step in. A friend simply moved to a different county and her ex took her to court. She had to move back or lose custody.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • she has to have sole custudy i think & with him paying support i'm sure there are legal steps he can take ~

    Answer by tntornado45 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2008