Casey Anthony Case

BUMP... BUMP... BUMP... BUMP... BUMP... BUMP... BUMP...

I want to ask a huge favor, as much as I hate having government in my home policing my ability to effectively parent my kids… the few really bad parents are why we need things like CPS (Child Protective Services), DHS, and laws to protect children

Please bump and pass this link onto others, to help pass “Caylee’s Law”
http://www.change.org/petitions/create-caylees-law

Caylee's Law, contact your Senator and Representative: there should be a new federal law created called Caylee's Law that will make it a federal offense for a parent or guardian to not notify law enforcement of a child going missing in a timely manner.
Let's keep another case like Caylee Anthony out of the courts.

Make it a crime that a parent prefer to go to the club, drink, or get high instead of protecting a child... or until the corpse of the child is found? My husband and I are both actively involved in our children's lives, and I couldn't imagine harming them, and if they were missing I would probably loose my mind not selfishly think of myself and how to "cheer up"... I couldn't breath until my kid was back in my arms

I have added it to various forms of social networking asking friends/family to help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have no problem with the idea of a law similar to the one suggested by the petition but I do not agree with the time line it has. One hour? If my 5 year old kid runs off into the safe suburban neighborhood I happen to live in and I go looking for him, calling neighbors and checking his hiding places I could easily spend at least an hour doing it making me a federal offender for doing my job by looking for him first before involving police. OR what if my Mother calls me and I avoid her calls for 2 days before answering. Is she considered a felon for not reporting my children as missing? And Under 6 also seems off. Why not make it a more reasonable under 13 missing for more than 8 hours and only the parents or legal guardians are held responsible to report it.. The idea behind the law is to have a conviction for people who fail to report a missing child at all.
    Anonymous

• I think it should be for all kids under age 19!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i do agree with anon, one hour isnt a reasonable time, it should be 24 hours. i have had my son run away twice, the first time we looked for hour and half before calling the cops, second time it was as soon as he didnt come home from school with his brother. In smaller town such as where I live, kids take off to be with friends without tellin anyone. Its a parents duty to call each and every possible parent before calling the cops. If the one hour time was passed then half of the parents in the town i live in will all be felons then, including myself. with that said there should be a time limit to report, i would think that 24 hours seems a reasonable amount of time.
    i know when my son ran away there was never an official report done either time i called the cops. they just took a photo and info and sent it to other cops and searched. they dont file an official report here until 24 hrs after the child is missing.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• want to add that i did this petition, when a friend posted it on facebook, its a good idea overall
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2011