Cold turkey Vs slowly weaning

Breastfeeding Mommys, which is better and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• allowing the child to self wean is best if it is possible. If not then slowly weaning is best for infant and mother. Breast feeding is a powerful bond and taking it way form an infant cold turkey can be very hard on them. interrupting sleep and eating patterns. Plus the mother can become painfully engorged and be at risk for mastitis. If weaning must take place then it is best to drop one feeding a day over a time frame of at least 3 weeks.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 12:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I agree with fourisplenty. Self-wean or gradual is best.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Slow is always better! It would be very confusing and potentially stressful to suddenly stop a baby or child's beloved booby. But slowly needn't means weeks. Reduce one feed a day for a few days, then another. OR nurse for shorter periods. Best of all of course is letting the child decide when to quit.
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 12:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Which one does the child choose?
    This is the best.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Slow.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Slowly weaning for sure. I started at 13 months. Took about 2 weeks. Bedtime at night was the hardest, I switched to Bottle at night, although I don't recommend that. At 15 months I took that away, was hard.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 3:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2011