My 1 year old is lactose intolerant...

My LO will be 1 on the 14th. He's been on Nutramigen his whole year except for a bit of breast feeding in the begining and a few trials of other stuff. We tried to go to the sensitive formula a couple of times and everytime he would get gassy right away. We started him on whole milk yesterday and he's already getting a bit gassy and uncomfortable. Two questions... Is there an adjustment period, does he just need time to adjust? Also, do you think a lastose free milk is just as healthy and will it help him digest better?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most people are lactose intolerant to a certain degree. Milk isn't actually healthy for ANYONE. It takes a baby cow six stomachs just to digest it and is linked to a host of health problems for adults and children alike.

There are tons of healthy options out there for you to provide calcium and nutrients to your son -- milk isn't one of them. There are nut milks, hemp milks, coconut milks -- we drink almond milk, which has more calcium and is better for you.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 12:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yes, lactose free milk is good, although I prefer rice rice milk. I am lactose intollerant and so are 3 of my 4 children. There are other options like Ataemommy mentioned. You can do almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk, lactose free milk, soy milk, and sometimes even goats milk (there is a difference between goat and cow milk).
    secret_smile85

Answer by secret_smile85 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011