22 month old (talking)

dose your 22 month old talk every much.. my dd talks but not as much as others her age... we stay home alot b/c we dont know anyone in our townso she is not around kids other then her 4 month old sister... is there things i can do with her to get her to talk more

klinemom2

Asked by klinemom2 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get her some learning games or get some clothes and stuff out and tell her what they are what color ect it will be fun for the both of you and get her learning new words
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• a child can only talk as much as the parents teach them.

thats what my mom told me, and i have to admit it, she is absolutely right. Learning games ect. is a good idea too. but i wouldnt actually buy any of those learning games. because all you have to do is get your childs toys, play with them and always talk to them when you do that. explain every single move. im talking like crazy to my daughter since she was born. hehe
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My son is 9 months old and I have been talking to him, telling him everything that we are doing, (ex.. mommy is going to give you a bath) and he already says at least 10 words. My favorite words that he says is "car" and "anta" for santa. Also i know that my nephew doesn't talk much and he needs to have his ears checked because he may need tubes. Maybe you should make her an appointment just to make sure that her ears are fine, and take it from there? Just an idea. Good luck.
    JacklinDodd

Answer by JacklinDodd at 7:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Talk to her as much as you can. Read to her every day. Look into playgroups in your community. Many churches have drop in playgroups and only ask that you make a donation of a dollar or two. They're a great way to meet moms in the area. Another source: Early Intervention. Ours has a play group. We went when the twins were 6 mos becaus one had some problems with his neck. Once his neck problems were resolved we continued to go as "community kids".
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• thank you for the mom that said to get her ears checked the dr has already made her an apt for that for other reason i didnt know that could be the reason thanks again
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Talk, talk, talk to her!!! Both my children were speaking in full sentences by age 14 months. I'm not saying that to sound snobby, I NEVER baby talked to either one of them in fact I always used and still do my adult vocabulary. As they got older it was funny to hear them use these very large words that I thought they didn't know the meaning of. They hear everything and retain more than we give them credit for. I always made them ask for what they wanted and if they didn't know the word, I would say it and have them repeat me. Now that they are older (6 & 9) they have very impressive vocabularies. Good luck my dear and know that every child is different.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008