What is it like to actually give birth?

Hello Everyone. I am expecting my first baby in feb. of next year. I was wondering if you experienced moms would be willing to share what it was like for you giving birth. Does it really hurt, like i have always heard?

WVGirl34

Asked by WVGirl34 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes,but that is what the epidural is for!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yep.

All the cliche crap about squeezing a watermelon out of a lemon is true. It's the labor contractions that hurt the most, not the pushing part though.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 12:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• PRESSURE!! I had epidurals with all my births, but 1 didnt work but all I felt was the pressure!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• oh and yes I agree with the pp, the contractions are what really hurts!
    SabrenaLeigh

• Your body will release a hormome(I forgot what it is called).It makes your brain to not be able to remember how intense the pain is.You will remember what happens.It is kind of like that not quite awake feeling.but I highly recommend the epidural!And your instinct will kick in, and your body will know what to do.You will tell the doctor when it is time to push.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Feel s like you really want to be somewhere else other than the position you’re in but there is no escape. The pain is there if you go natural.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I had an epidural and afterwards was amazed by the lack of pain. Overall an amazing, beautiful experience. Don't forget to write down everything, you will forget.
    BrashB

Answer by BrashB at 1:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Each labor is different. It also depends on your pain threshhold. My first I had naturally. Yes, painful but bareable AND the best part was pushing her out, that part didn't hurt at all, the contractions were the worst. With my other 3 I had back labor and had to get an epidural because the pain was so unbearable for me that I started to go backwards and close up! Within an hour of the epidural each time I was ready to push. With the epidural I had NO pain. It all depends on wether you want a drug free birth or drug assisted birth (I don't like the term natural for no drugs cause either way you are still pushing out a baby larger than the hole that was originally there).
    secret_smile85

Answer by secret_smile85 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It depends if you get drugs or not. The worst, most painful part of labor is transition, where you finish dilating to 10. You can get an epidural usually about a 4, so if you want to you can avoid the worst of it. Most of the time anyway.

The most painful labor I had was without pain meds, there wasn't time. It went so fast, an hour and 45 minutes from my first contraction to her being out.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• For me the pain was ok... it felt really bad at first but then my MIL taught me how to relax through each contraction by breathing and relaxing my muscles that wanted to tense up.... after that the contractions just felt like a period cramp..not bad at all... Pushing was pretty fast for me as well.. it just feels like wanted to take a big 'poop'. LoL... except it comes from the other end.. with my first when the baby was coming out i felt a bad burning sensation down there because i was tearing.. with my last two kids though i didn't feel any of that.. just pressure.

After the baby was out there were lighter contractions to help get the placenta out.. that felt really icky coming out.. but it is what it is....

after i gave birth the nurses massaged my belly some and that was a little painful..sort of felt like being punched in the gut.. but it only lasts a few seconds.
    TheHappyChicken

Answer by TheHappyChicken at 1:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2011