Do you believe in the US Justice System?

I ask this because of the recent Casey Anthony case. She was found not guilty by a jury of her peers due to lack of evidence to prove her guilty. Our justice system says we are innocent until proven guilty. Therefore why is everyone so mad. Do they not believe in our Justice System???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• not anymore.that woman deserved the death penalty.If she didn't kill that poor baby, she knows who did.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I believe in our court system. Just because she was found innocent of the charges against her doesn't mean she is completely innocent. The jury made the right call for the charges they were evaluating with the evidence they were given.
    Anonymous

• In her case, the prosecution failed to try and convict for the more obvious, like neglect. Any mother who waits 31 days to report their child missing is most certainly negligent, but they were going for murder, which they couldn't 100% prove. She was convicted with what could be proven, which was the lying. Had the prosecution pursued other charges other than manslughter or first degree murder, she could have been convicted for more.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• no its flawed. this isnt the first time i have seen the justice system fail.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• She deserved to spend life or at the least 15 years in jail. I really think the justice system is ridicules and that's why more and more people are taking matters into their own hands.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 1:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• YES - "It's better for four guilty men to go free than one innocent man to be imprisoned"
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• They didn't have enough to prove her guilty so no, it's not a failure.. it's sad however that they assumed what little they did have would prove her guilt and that they didn't push to find more.

As for Hollywood, yea, it's a failure. The average person spends $5000 + for their first drunk driving arrest and it gets worse from there until they spend real jail time.. these teenyboppers get out with a slap on the wrist. pathetic!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I still believe in it. I didn't follow the Casey Anthony case. I know bits and pieces because it's hard not to with all the news coverage. I find it hard to believe she didn't do it. However, the jury is charged with convicting a person only if the prosecution has proved its case "beyond a reasonable doubt." It sounds like they didn't do that.

Honestly, as hard as it is to accept a woman like Anthony walking - I'd be more terrified if our court system did NOT require conviction only if the case was made "beyond a reasonable doubt" I would be terrified if the media's attempt to sensationalize and sell a case before it got to court equated to a trial. I would be terrified if some people could hear some reports on the news and use that to determine my fate. I'd rather a jury be required to make a choice - despite popular opinion and media reports - with hard and stringent guidelines.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It's not a justice system...it's a legal system.

It's not a system that decides what is just, fair, and ethical, it's a system that decides what is legal.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• no i dont,not only for what happened to caylee but for how i was treated in the fla. with the fight for my kids they were for adpotion and for the mom that had fought for 5 years to get my kids home with me.. that way i started my group BIRTHMOMS OPEN AND CLOSED ADOPTIONS!!!
    D-Lin

Answer by D-Lin at 1:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2011