Globalization , and who wants it

This study was commissioned by Tony Blair's foundation, and is a stat-geek's dream, so for those so inclined, have fun:

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/News/ipsos-global-advisor-views-on-globalisation-and-faith.pdf

It addresses globalization and relgion, but I'm only posting this about the globalization part (will add a religion one later).

Some of the results are pretty obvious - China, India and Brazil (BRIC) favor regulated globalization, US and Japan favor free market, and France hates everyone.

According to the graphs, the countries that most support it also have the fastest rising GDPs.  Thing is, we also know that at the very least China, and to some extent the others, are prone to fudging numbers, creative accounting, and exploitation.  Which is really increasing their GDP - the global market or their twitchy math and labor practices?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's probably a combination of both of those things. As the middle class grows though, labor practices will most likely be addressed which will have a decent impact on GDP unless they can automate production before the middle class carries enough weight to insist on reforms.

Twitchy math...as we well know, only keeps the wolves at bay for a finite length of time.

Considering though, that China has been the dominate global super power for most of history it seems likely that they will be again.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm leaning more toward:  their twitchy math and labor practices

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I go with the twitchy math and labor as well. China is soon to face an uprising as their middle class grows. Communism and Capitalism can not co-exist forever.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Hmmmmmmm
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't have an opinion at this time. I will have to learn more about this first.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• NO THANKS! These days it seems EVERYTHING is based on twitchy Math, which is really just a little old lie, now, don't tell anybody! And this is why EVERYTHING is so damn screwed up...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011