Do you?

If you have no childrens medicine in the house and the kids get sick do you give them non-childrens medicines?

For me..DS is 4..i have been doing this since he was 2. If i dont have any childrens medication in the house i will give him adult medication..but adjust the dose. When he was 2 i would give him .8 of a teaspoon..just like his childrens meds (if liquid like dayquil) iff all i had was pills i would crush up a pill into a powder and give him just a tiny ammt on a spoon full of honey or ice cream. As he got a little bit older i would give him a little more but not much.

Does anyone else do the same?

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes. I adjust the dose, too.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No, in fact we usually have the children's stuff more often than the adult form. I am pregnant and had a horrible headache and needed some tylenol but all we had was the children's stuff, so I took that. We always seem to have Children's meds and nothing for us!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No. I go out to the store and buy more of the appropriate medicine. If I can't get to the store, I call my neighbor and ask to borrow some or if she can run out and pick some up for me.

If I've not been giving specific dosing adjustments by a medical professional, I don't mess with it. There's as much bad as good that can be done with medicating a child. I avoid using meds unless we absolutely have to give them. When we do, we give the appropriate dose as instructed by their doctor.

DS is now old enough and weighs enough to take an adult ibuprofen. He's 9 and can swallow the smaller capsules. He gets 1 pill when needed. DD, on the other hand, is a petite 6 yr old. She does not get adult medication. Cutting a pill in half - that is not intended to be split - is an estimate. Not something I'm comfortable with.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No, hubby or I would go get what they needed. I would not risk our children's health by giving them adult meds.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• yes...we adjust doses
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Um, NO. If I don't have medicine, and they get sick, I go to the drugstore and buy them some. DO NOT EVER adjust the dosage and give a child especially such a small child ANY adult medication...you can accidentally overdose even though you don't think you will. Don't risk this. And please don't be lazy, provide your child with what they need...
    Oh and some adults (like myself) cannot take adult medicine, even though we are adults...because we don't have the tolerance for it. I still have to take children's medicine and I am 31 years old!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 10:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• no
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I am not sure about the dayquil stuff, but I have had to adjust twlenol and IBU for my boys when my then Husband would spend all our money and I had no way to get what my boys needed. They did fine. I also had a friend that was an LPN and would help me with the dosages so I would be sure to not give my boys too much.
    LisaAnn069

Answer by LisaAnn069 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Ugh, typo -- I meant "OVERmedicating." When you're dealing with a small child, it doesn't take much to over-medicate either.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Not for a toddler but for my older kids. Mostly my son because he's almost to the point now that he doesn't even need kids' medicine (he weighs 80lbs and is already taking the dose for 12+). For him starting at about 6 I'd give him a 1/2 dose. The girls are much smaller and would get a 1/4 dose if I was desperate. But not when they were toddlers.
    I do give my infant the kids' medicine that says for 2 and up. I just adjust it like they used to tell you before they banned all the stuff. Like his tylenol I give him just one dropper now. Before it was 1/2 dropper. This was what I was told when my older kids were little before they stopped marketing the stuff to babies.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2011