Spit up

I have a premie that was born 2 months old weighing 3 lbs 2 oz. He is now 3 months old and weighs 8 pounds. I feed him 4 ounces about every 3 hours in which he spits up about 2 ounces of. I have had him on Similac NeoSure, Gerber Good Start, Gerber Soy Formula. All of them are making him spit up. What can I do to help him stop spitting up?

kristianmommy

Asked by kristianmommy at 1:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• His weight is great. They are supposed to double their weight at 3 months. So he is getting enough. My kids also spit up all the time. I think it's just something they have to grow out of. I used GentleEase. I guess it helped, but it did not stop the spitting up. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Have you taken him in to get checked? DD spit up it seemed like everything she got down, turned out she had acid reflux and got put on zantac for it. You might want to see about that.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yep, preemies are notorious for having reflux.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Feed him less - 4oz is a lot for a preemie at that age. If he's spitting up half, feed him half to begin with, 2 oz. He'll be hungry more often, but if he can hold 2 oz down with minimal spit up, it'll be better for him to eat less, more often.
    Anonymous

• My son all though not a preemie was a spit up fountain it was bad!! I talked to his dr and found out he had gerd which is where the lining of the esphogus is under devoloped. Simple fix though try some enfamil lipil ar formula specifically for babies who have spit up issues. All I can really tell you try it out if it doesent work talk to the dr might just be normal.Good luck!
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 2:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Talk with your doctor. There is a formula out there that's recommended for spit-up. A friend of mine had her daughter on it and it helped so much.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• If your son is gaining weight then spit up is only a laundry problem, not a medical one. If he is screaming and spitting up then it is reflux (or gerd) other wise some babies just spit up a lot. My daughter it seemed was spitting up everything she ate. Then doctor put something like 5 cc of water in a cup and spilled it on the counter... it looked like a lot more on the counter than it actually was. Just watch his weight if he is not gaining or only gaining a little you have a real problem, if not he is just a spitter. Call your Doctor's office and ask for a weight check, mine did them with out an appointment and with out charging me when my son (who did not spit up) had weight issues.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 4:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011