WHY?!?!? (more of a vent)

Since we have moved it seems like my dog is acting out! When we leave we keep her in the house with the glass door slid open so that she can out if she wants or needs to, we had no issues with this at our old house. The first time we left her at this house she was fine, the second time I came home to find my trash can emptied on my kitchen floor. She was punished and we figured that would solve it, nope today I got home from dropping DH off (I was gone for maybe 20 minutes) and the trash can was emptied on my dining room floor and she had gotten into the cabinet and pulled out my electric skillet(now broken) and one of our nice plates (also now broken)! Why is she all of sudden acting like she is a 6 month old puppy again?!?!!? I thought we were past that stage!!! UGH!

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 1:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Pets

• Separation anxiety

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• How long have you been in your new place? Sounds to me like she is experiencing some separation anxiety. maybe fear of being in the new place and you not coming back. Im not sure. But I know when I leave the house, If I dont tell my dog I will be right back he acts like a puppy and he is 6 years old. The vet said that it was separation anxiety.
    DanielleFortner

Answer by DanielleFortner at 1:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• They usually act up like that when their not us to a new territory
    angelmom0302

Answer by angelmom0302 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Spend extra time with her and let her know that you will be right back. I have to stress it to my dog. I tell him like 3 times as I am walking out the door. People laugh at me but it is SO SO TRUE!
    DanielleFortner

Answer by DanielleFortner at 1:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• maybe a crate until she gets used to the place or a baby gate keeping her in a room that has been "doggy proofed" Animals go through some emotional issues just like children do when being moved to a new place
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We have been here for a week. I might have to try that, some days she is fine and others she completely destroys my kitchen and dining rooms!
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i totally agree! its really stressful on pets to move - whether its horses, cats, or dogs. they have no idea whats going on, and cant understand why they are living somewhere else. when we recently moved our cat -who is pretty independent- started crying everytime one of us leaves the house. you can tell he is just scared. aww, i hope your adjusts fast. i would try maybe something to take her mind off of things - chew toys, or anything you gave her when she was a puppy, to distract her. sorry you are going thru this.
    barrelracer1977

Answer by barrelracer1977 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The only problem with the baby gate is that she can jump them or just plow through them if she really wants to.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Sounds like you need to confine her while she adjusts ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Try leaving the radio or tv on for her. Major separation anxiety.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 4:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011