Dealing with 3 year old's attitude today....

Words of encouragement for my sanity would be greatly appreciated! She's pushing limits, I think it might have something to do with her brother and sister being home from school, she's having to share me more than she's used to and it throws our schedule. Some moments I feel like screaming but am staying as calm as I can while dealing with my wild child, lol

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• *passes a HUGE mug of patience* My daughter does the same thing daily. She's 4 and thinks she's in charge of EVERYTHING. For the past week and a half her brother has been on the road with their grampa. Part of her bratitude is because she misses her brother, most of her bratitude though is the age, as far as I can tell.

I don't have much to offer other than my commiserations.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I FEEL your pain today! My 3 year old is doing anything and everything to act up today. I think she didn't get enough sleep lastnight. I can't wait for naptime! LOL. She is whining, screaming at her little sister, and nagging nagging nagging. Hang in there, mama!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You are probably right. She is feeling threatened by her siblings. She is acting out so that she can get ALL of your attention. Even negative attention, she just wants to make sure that they are not going to take her attention away. All I would know to tell you to do is obviously get on to her like you normally would when she misbehaves, but try to let her know that you are still there. Sit her down and try to talk to her. They understand alot at that age....
    DanielleFortner

Answer by DanielleFortner at 1:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• uncalled for glendior!!
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have days like this with my three year old and she doesn't even have siblings!! LOL I have to repeatedly tell myself to keep my cool because she is just a kid. I've had days where I literally put her in her room and walk outside for a few minutes to calm down, because sitting there listening to a screaming three year old just pushes me to my breaking point and I hate to yell at her.

The best thing for us is just letting her scream and throw whatever kind of tantrum she wants (in the privacy of her room) and when she is done I talk to her about it, explain why her behavior is not ok, what we should do better next time, etc.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• DS was like that yesterday. It was his birthday but God forbid you so much as mention the word to him..he would start to ball and throw a tempertantrum screaming at me in anger and growlling . . my SIL bought him a cake..he tried to throw it on the floor..you couldnt go near him. Hes been a lil off since we moved. He keeps telling me that he wants to go back to the "orange house" (his bedroom was orange)..i try and explain that we live in the new house now but he gets all upset and yells
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Any change in a preschooler's routine can cause "attitude". It's best, even with the school-aged siblings home, to try to stick to the preschooler's routine as much as possible. Make any changes slowly, and talk to your child about it again and again. Try to ignore the attitude, and deal with the underlying issue, and count the minutes until naptime! BTW, make the school kids take naps, too. They can lie down on their beds with library books for one hour. This is a good habit to form, and could do more to boost their academic success than private tutors! And it's good for your sanity, too. My kids took "naps" ALL THE TIME. I homeschooled them, and when they were in high school, sometimes they would beg me, "Is it almost naptime? I really want to go read my book!"
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think something is in the air because my son is an only child and he is throwing an attitude majorly lately. We are spending more time with him and everything but he is still throwing at attitude. I know how you feel. HUGS!
    mrsjksimmons

Answer by mrsjksimmons at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• She woke up from nap time and all is well for now, finger's crossed.
    The older kids do "nap" they either play video games or watch a movie. I don't expect them to read at this time, we do some homework on summer vacation. Our schedule is pretty much the same, little different for her though. Instead of picking her sister up from school before lunch they are at VBS or BBS as she calls it till lunch. Other than that things are pretty much the same. Soccer has been on for a good month now so that's no adjustment really. I don't know I'm just glad that she's back to the sweet girl again!
    Cheers ladies and I hope you're little monkeys wake from nap time as nicely as mine did!!!
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You are probably right. She is feeling threatened by her siblings. She is acting out so that she can get ALL of your attention. Even negative attention, she just wants to make sure that they are not going to take her attention away. All I would know to tell you to do is obviously get on to her like you normally would when she misbehaves, but try to let her know that you are still there. Sit her down and try to talk to her. They understand alot at that age
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2011