Where do constitutional rights end if one poses a threat to their society?

I feel that it's more important in this case for the prison workers to be able to have a safe and orderly environment than it is for Jared Loughner to be able to refuse to take psychotropic drugs.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0711/Ninth_Circuit_sets_arguments_on_drugging_Jared_Loughner.html

In this case, do you side with Loughner or the prison authorities?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 1:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Sorry, but that is absolutely the only answer that should even be considered. If no one is allowed to walk around slapping people no one should be allowed to roam around potentially killing them or beating on them (especially nurses and doctors, but also other prisoners) because they don't want to take medication. Personally, I wouldn't care if the locked him in a padded room and shot him with a tranq any time they needed to do something with him.

I don't buy his insanity act in the first place. I don't think there is one good reason that he's walking around and breathing considering how many people he turned into worm factories, and how many lives he has damaged and harmed. The drugs he should be given are lethal imo ... not stuff that gives him happy dreams :-(
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Once someone has been prove a danger to themselves or others, it is completely within the rights of the state to declare them unfit to make their own decisions and order them medicated. This happens every day, and there's an entire section of the social services in each city or county charged with making sure people get their shot or rounding them up and delivering them to the clinic to receive it. That doesn't change just because he's in prison.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Here's my thoughts.....as soon as you become a MURDERER you give up all constitutional rights.....
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The consitution's protection is most important during times of crisis. It would be like a soldier discarding his shield as soon as the battle begins. If we're willing to throw it out the window every time we feel threatened we might as well throw it out completely.

I don't believe that he is any more dangerous than anyother prisoner. If he is, isolation is a fine option.

Forced drugging isn't okay with me.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I thought the same as upshe why not just throw his behind into isolation?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I do not condone forced medication.

And if he kills himself or someone else while not medicated - is the facility still responsible for not preventing it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The courts order people to take antabuse. So, why would this be different?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You can take away his civil rights - I agree there - but you can't take away basic human rights. That just stooping to the criminals level ... and OP - I really don't care if force medicating is legal - either in the US government or the UN. I'm talking about on moral grounds. ~ Eilish

Is it moral to stand by and allow someone to beat or kill someone? Is it moral to allow parents to treat their children with prayer rather than medicine? Is it moral to force such parents to medicate their children or take them away to medicate them? Just who is it that decides what is moral and what isn't ~ and what happens when someone else's morals are different? Is it moral to just not care about what THEY think is moral because you have different morals?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You have such an eloquent way with words Farmlady:)

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• This argument has been going on for a long time. Andrea Yates also was fighting to stay OFF the meds as she remembered everything when she was ON THEM...

Seeing it up close and personal, I would say they can be forced if someone is not able to make sane / rational decisions that would affect their own and others safety and well being

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011