My 8 year old's face is swollen

The other day she complained that her face hurt (by her jaw- right under her ear). I thought oh, maybe a tooth ache whatever. Today she wakes up and the whole right side of her face was swollen. Her eye is swollen almost shut! That side of her face is also really red, warm to touch, kind of like a rash. I have her a doctor appointment scheduled at 2:45. Do any of you have suggestions as to what this may be? Has it happened to anyone else's child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds to me like an infection- maybe from a bite or possibly from her tooth! I had a bad tooth one time and I swelled up like that. it was terrible!!!! They are more than likely going to give you some antibiotics. I pray everything goes well for you!!!
    DanielleFortner

Answer by DanielleFortner at 2:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Infected lymph nodes?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Does she have all of her vaccinations? Has she been anywhere around poison ivy? Any new foods? It definitely sounds like an infection of some kind, but it could also be an allergic reaction. It's anyone's guess...good job getting her to the doctor right away...it doesn't sound like something to mess with!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My brother's eye was swollen shut once by a bee sting. But an insect bite or sting doesn't explain it hurting the night before.

New food maybe? Allergy?
    Anonymous

• I had an ear infection & sinus infection that did that to me once, I also had lumps along my jawline (above and below) and lumps in my neck. Doc said it was just the infection draining. I'd had plenty of infections before, and I've had more since, but have never swelled up like that with one other than that one time. I was put on some heavy-duty Rx allergy meds along with an antibiotic & a steroid - swelling was gone within 3 days thanks to the combination.
    Anonymous

• My best guess would be either a infected tooth or it could be she has a really bad sinus infection. I had one this spring and that is what my face did.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 2:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Hope she does not have the Mumps.

Answer by louise2 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2011