If you make jam without pectin, please look at my question!

I have a recipe for homemade strawberry jam that does not use pectin.

2 cups sugar
1 large lemon, zested and juiced
1 1/2 pints of strawberries, hulled and halved

But, I was looking at this jar of jam in my fridge and saw that it was sweetened with fruit juice.
So, here are a couple of questions:
1. Does sweetening it with sugar make any difference than sweetening it with fruit juice?
2. How much juice would I add instead of the 2 cups of sugar?

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 2:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• If you use fruit juice concentrate, I was taught it's half as much as you would add in sugar. So, 2 cups of sugar = 1 cup of concentrate. I haven't tried it myself but my MIL is really into this. Good luck! It is SO VERY MUCH better for you blood sugarwise.
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 2:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The sugar is part of the thickening. If you substitute fruit juice for sugar, it may be a runny jam. However, if it were home-made apple juice, it could work. There is pectin in apples, naturally. You can make any jam without boxed pectin, if you make "blackberry/apple Jam" or "strawberry/apple" jam... Somewhere I read once how you can test the pectin content of your apples, so you don't risk wasting a batch of jam, but I don't remember where, or how.

If you want to cut down or out on sugar, use pectin to thicken it. If you want to cut out the pectin to save money, use the sugar to thicken it. Or do it your way and experiment. What's the worst that could happen? You might make a batch of ice cream topping!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• So, Womanhood...is that one cup of fruit juice concentrate straight out of the can or made up and diluted? I wonder if the sugar content would be the same. But, I guess without a good amount of sugar, it might not taste good at all.
    CaptivatedByGod

Comment by CaptivatedByGod (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011