Question about college and dh.....

Me and my dh are on bumpy ground right now. I have been a SAHM for 12 years, so I don't have much work experience. I have a hobby of making jewelry and thinking about taking an online course to maybe turn it into a business. Of course he doesn't want me to. Should I do it behind his back. If we get divorced I am screwed to say the least. BTW, we have tried counceling and it didn't help. Any opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Why doesn't he want you to do it? I might just find a course and tell him you are going to take it. Is that something you can do?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It might be more valuable to get some working experience. Would he "let" you do that?
    Anonymous

• I can't drive and he works long hours, so me getting a job is really not possible. I think he doesn't want me doing it because it might take time away from him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Well, see the thing is you are talking about being a single mom. If you want to set yourself up to be able to handle that, I don't think selling jewerly is going to be enough. You are going to need some sort of job, and even WAH jobs often require a little bit of travel. Then there is getting your kids around if you need to.
    So now I say, start with learning how to drive. Tell him you just don't feel safe not knowing how in case of an emergency or whatever. Maybe take a drivers ed course.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't want you to have a business or go to college? If you have children together, I suggest you keep trying to make a go of it.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Whether or not he has caused you physical harm, your husband is abusive.

Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011