Is this normal?

my 31/2 year old son was being quiet, a little too quiet, so i went in his play room to check on him, and he was naked playing with his penis...and it was a little bit erect... is this normal? should i be worried???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Totally normal. He's a boy. Kids as young as 1 figure out how to play with themselves. Just tell him it's something he needs to do in private.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 2:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Children have a natural curiosity toward that body part just as well as when they first discover their hands or their feet. To them, it's just another interesting body part. As for the erection part, babies can get erections before there are even born! So, that's normal too. As long as he's doing it in private, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• COMPLETELY normal. And I agree with Ataemommy - tell him that's for private time.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The only difference between mine son and yours is that yours was trying to hide it. Mine does it out in the open when he feels like it and I have to tell him not to be fresh haha. I'm sure he's fine.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• yep as long as no other people are around watching it
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It is completely normal. I have walked in on my 3 year old boys plenty of times and caught them playing with themselves. Explain to him that that is for personal time and not to do it when others are around. Good luck!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• yes normal. My 3 year old son likes to do that in the bathtub and at bathtime. My 9month old loves to do that the minute the diaper comes off because he just discovered it.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I agree with Kword. The main thing is not to shame him about his explorations and self pleasing. It's normal and I will go so far to say this applies to girls equally. Guiding them to do it in private and without showing your discomfort about it is key.
    Sexedforkids

Answer by Sexedforkids at 6:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• yea it is kind of weird but my son has done this too and said look lol!!
    ohgoshism

Answer by ohgoshism at 10:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have 2 boys and yes this is totally normal behavior be glad he is only doing this in the privacy of his room some children grab themselves in public and I would think that would be more embarrassing then having them do this at home;
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2011