• In the Spotlight:

Should the First Spouse be paid?

They do a lot. They head up committees, they lead, they champion charities, etc., cabinet meetings (Eisenhower), foreign policy meetings (Clinton), summit meetings (Regan). Should they be paid?

Fiveofakind2

Asked by Fiveofakind2 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I am answering my own question and then locking it down: I don't think she should be paid. She is not an elected official, and one could argue that the cabinet is not elected but appointed, however marriage is a personal choice, cabinet is a professional choice.

She may do all of the things that past wives have done, but she makes the decision to do them or not. Similar to the decision that I make to stay home and run a small business, rather than have a full-time job and a full-time paycheck. I support my husband in his role so he is successful and I compensate myself by furthering his career.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Many Military Wives Do a lot for their Company, Flight, Squadron and they don't get paid. Especially when the military personnel are deployed. I don't think so, no.  Sometimes they even accompany the chaplain when the deployed soldier has been injured/killed.  That is HARD WORK.

Anonymous

• accompany to notify another spouse.
    Anonymous

• I just saw this on the news and was about to post the same question. It's hard to say. They aren't elected and don't have a standard "job description" so how should their compensation be calculated? I'd say that they should get a flat rate wage regardless of what they do. Then I'd leave it up to the Prez. to allocate some of their pay to the first spouse for work that is above and beyond.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My opinion It’s shouhld be honor to support her husband, not a duty. She wasn’t elected into an office or appointed into an office. She has no OFFICIAL duties and no official job description. She has a staff, including Assistant, Housekeeper, Chef, etc.. Why does she need to be paid too? And in Michele Obama’s case, she has made it clear that she wants to be known as the "First Mom".

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• If the First Spouse should get paid, dammit, stay-home-parents (after all, some dads stay home while moms work) should get paid!
    Abomnablesnogrl

Answer by Abomnablesnogrl at 7:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Any yes, anon Company/Squadron Commander/Wing Commander Wives DO A LOT for their husband's career.  Committees, planning, meetings, etc. So perhaps, they should get paid too?!?!  Not too mention military wives often put their career aside (much like the 1st Lady) to be able to be onhand to support their husband's career, traveling, moving and being able to support The President and the First Family. 

Anonymous

• Ok, I agree with both Anon posts. If the First Lady gets paid, then so should Military Spouses...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No, the first spouse should not be paid. They have no 'official' job description and they are already benefitting from the position of their spouse being president. And I say that as an Obama voter and a fan of Michelle Obama...lol!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• They already are paid, just by getting to decorate the White House, have that big fat Christmas tree, ordering special china! They get followed around by a bunch of guys that look like they jumped out of the Matrix and get to ride in that fancy airplane all over the place! It's like being in a freaking amusement park for 4 to 8 years!! Wheee!

And as far as Michelle Obama goes....being called the next Jackie O is payment enough. I could feed my family on that compliment.
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 8:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2008