I really need some advise

I am having a huge problem. I have two children and am pregnant now. I have always had a really busy schedule and so we eat when we get hungry we don't plan meals we just do it when we are ready. This hasn't really been working out for us and since sometimes we get hungry and can't wait for our meals to be ready we sometimes end up eating fast food. I'm aware that this inst the right thing to do and now I have really stopped alot of things that I've normally had to do so I have all day. I really want to get into a routine and schedule where I can actually cook by a certain time. I'm really tired so I needs some advise on how to do this and maybe diffrent types of foods with some recepies to get started. Please don't judge me I'm trying to change and make it better. Thank You.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I have 3 kids, work full time and go to school part time so I know what you mean. It is hard to do, but you have to have a routine/schedule. It takes 30 days to form a habit, so I've heard. So stick to it and after a while you should be used to it. I don't know what your day is like, but for me I get home around 5:30, sit down and breathe for about 30 minutes (you need "ME" time), start dinner, have the kids clean the dishes, take showers and check homework. Once kids are in bed then I go and do my homework til about 10:30 and crash. Get up and do it all again the next day. Have the kids help you clean, etc. It is best for the kids to have structure so they know what to expect and when to expect it.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I also look online for recipies and even email all my friends and family and have asked them to give me their favorite recipe and keep them all in a binder. I make fun out of it, like making a scrapbook. Good recipies are on weightwatchers.com or goodhousekeeping, etc.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I also make my kids go to bed at 8:00 during the week, no exceptions unless they are on vacation. That is so important to get rest.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Start with your least hectic time of day and start with easy meals. So like pancakes for breakfast, salads for lunches, grilled cheese and lunch meat for dinners. Schedule it for a reasonable time for you and your family. We do breakfast at 6:30, snack around 9:30, lunch at noon, snack around 4:30 and then dinner at 6:30 for the most part.
    Anonymous

• wow! thank you, I was scared that people were going to attack me and lash out at me for not having a routine and feeding my kids whenever. thank you. Do any of you have fast easy and yummy recepies.?
    Anonymous

• I try to use my weekends to prep foods and make big meals. What I prep depends on what is on sale My hubby takes our son, even if it is to play in the other room. I cook up 2-3 lbs of ground beef, drain it, and package it up in 1 lb bags. I'll also patty up burgers but I don't cook them. I can use the cooked beef for spaghetti, sloppy joes, tacos. . . If chicken is on sale I'll take boneless/skinless breasts and cook and cube it up to put in the freezer. you can make chicken alfredo, chicken enchiladas, chicken quesadillas. . . I also pre-cook and freeze cubed round steak for beef stew and beef stroganoff.  It makes it a lot easier to pull cooked meat out of the freezer and plop them in sause and warm them. 

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Oh, message me I'll send you a bunch of easy recepies.
    chrissmom734

• The crockpot is your friend! There is a good book with five-ingredient recipes for all klinds of easy entrees. Use a crockpot liner and it gets even easier...no washing up of the pot!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• When making a schedule for the first time I tell people to start with basics like:
    8:00 breakfast
    10:30 snack
    12:00 lunch
    4:00 snack
    5:00 cook dinner/serve by 6:00
    7:00 baths
    8:00 bedtime story/lights out

From there you can add to it and make it more specific if you want to, or that may be enough for your family. Find 7 recipes you love and make those for dinner each week to start. Add to it after a few weeks until you have about 14 and you can have 2 weeks without the same thing twice. Do something easy for lunch like PBJ one day, turkey the next. Add apple slices and chips. For snacks have fruit and raw veggies handy. Add vanilla wafers and crackers to make it a little more filling. Breakfast can be a few easy things - oatmeal, cold cereal (like Kashi, not fruity puffs), biscuits, toast with PB. If you'd like more help you are welcome to message me.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Try to use ingredients that you can use for 2 meals.
    for example: roast chicken
    its sounds a bit hard but its not at all. Just season the chicken with some garlic salt and thats it stick it in the oven and let them cook for about and hour or so and then you have roast chicken one day and the other chicken you can use for chicken enchiladas or quesadillas or chicken with pasta.

You can also buy ground beef or chicken for 2 meals and cook it. then add some taco seasoning and you can have hard shell tacos one night and burritos or nachos then next.

Also keep simple fast things in your fridge and cupboards.

For example

tomato soup or any kind of soup and grilled cheese.

Sandwich meats can go a long way not just for sandwiches. you can use them with tostadas, just add some sour cream to the tostada and some sandwich meat then add lettuce and tomato and you have tostadas.

good luck
    cam9lak

Answer by cam9lak at 9:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008