Can you make your mashed potatoes ............

out of box, but still not taste like they are out of a box?

Dahis

Asked by Dahis at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Oh yeah !! I made some last night actually with polish sausage and green beans. They taste so good !!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You can make them better, but they are still boxed potatoes. The texture of real potatoes just isn't there. To make them better you can mix in some garlic salt, shredded cheese and chopped cooked bacon.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• throw in some rach, bacon bits, and top with shredded cheese. loaded potatoes!!! :)
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Ehhhhh. My husband is the fake potato nazi. I haven't made boxed potatoes in 5 years. lol.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You can make them taste "better" with additions. But, you will never get teh texture of real. Besides, why would one use boxed ones when fresh potatoes are way cheaper???
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• no. ew
    look at the sodium on the box.

real ones aren't hard to make. and smash in some boiled carrots it makes it creamier and healthier for your kiddos (and orange)
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 3:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My mom uses chicken stock to make her mash taters from a box. It gives them a nice color too.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I use the flavored ones out of a pouch if I dont use real potatoes. But to make box potatoes taste "better" throw in a lot of extras, like people have already suggested
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I keep some in the house to use as a thickener in sauces or casseroles, but don't use them much as actual mashed potatoes. If you add cream, sour cream or a ton of cheese it can make them less box-ish, but the main reason I use them to thicken things is because they don't taste like much of anything.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I love the answers. I actually DON'T use box potatoes.........unless it is for thickening something, a box will last in my house for months on end. I prefer Yukon Gold potatoes for my mashed. And yes special ......fresh are cheaper and so much better. Thanks for the fun ladies!
    Dahis

Comment by Dahis (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011