Best way to clean a carpet?

Short of hiring Stanley Steemer... more of the diy question. :) ty.

Asked by Autumn07 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• So her carpet is full of detergent residue, that's not really safe or clean. The problem is loving when you use detergent everything sticks to it. The carpet is always darker in those areas you treat. You continually have to do it because the detergent attracts the dirt. We are trained certified carpet trust me on this. Detergent is a bad idea. Always have a carpet cleaner shake the solution and look for bubbles. Don't let detergent into your carpet. That will save you money!

Answer by chgomom at 3:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Rent a carpet cleaner from a nearby retailer. My grocery store rents them out at a reasonable rate.

Answer by specialwingz at 3:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My grandmother gets Woolite carpet cleaner, sprays it on a small area, then scrubs that area with a scrub brush. She does that to her whole house, and her rug is 14 years old and looks like brand new.

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• carpet cleaning foam

Answer by sassy21176 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have a shampoo attachment to my Kirby vacuum cleaner.

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• When I had carpet, I had a Hoover carpet cleaner.

Answer by elasmimi at 7:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Rug doctor

Answer by aj23 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

Answer by wmbeener at 12:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• rent a rug cleaner

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Look up a certified professional using and do your shopping by calling them. The reason you do this is you want someone that won't use detergent that leaves a residue. Works the same way when you do laundry. Everywhere you put the bottle there is a soap residue, get it on your hands its hard to wash off. Detergent in your carpet stays there. You are better off using a rented Rug doctor machine than using Stanley Steemer.
    If you pay more, you get more. Someone with a truck mount has a higher extraction rate that will clean carpet better with less residue and leave it dryer.

Answer by chgomom at 3:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011