What's more valuable?

A college degree with no experience or a lifetime of experience with no college degree?

I'm not talking about potential value - I'm talking about immediate value and I'm not talking about employers, I'm talking about in your own mind.

(I'm assuming the answers are based in belief - not necessarily religious but philosophical - which is why it is here in R&B)

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 3:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• A college degree with no experience. Experience comes with age. So you'll end up with a college degree and experience.

If you already have a "lifetime of experience" but no college degree, then you only have one.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• a lifetime of experience bets anything a book can teach you. IMO.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it depends on the employer in question.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Lifetime of experience!

Answer by older at 4:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Having a lifetime of experience does not equal being the best person for the job. There are plenty of people who work at the same position for 30 years who are terrible at it. Think of how many bad parents there are who've been raising kids for years. Talent does not come from experience alone, but rather dedicated practice (Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin is a great read on this).

A college degree doesn't equal talent either, just the potential for it given fresh knowledge.

I think you'd have to consider what they've produced with that lifetime of experience to know what the value is.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Lifetime of Experience
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 4:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Depends on what you're trying to do. A degree doesn't give a writer or painter anything that years of practice can't do better, but if you're about to perform surgery on me, you'd better have a piece of paper from a school vouching for your abilities.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm going to say a lifetime of experience because I know plenty of people with college degrees and they don't have a lick of common sense. lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 7:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Lifetime of experience.

Book learning can only get you so far(like getting your foot in the door)...your experience as well as your ability to adapt and other things are what get you the career/job and everything else in life.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You say in your question that you aren't looking for employment related responces and then turn around and give an work related example. I'm not sure what you are looking for?
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 8:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2011