Potty Training

My son will be 3 in Dec and I have been trying to potty train him to no avail for about the las month. Yesterday evening he told me he had to pee so we wen into the bathroom and he sat on the potty and atually went pee. He has went 5 times since then, but he hasnt told me he has to pee if i ask he will say yea but other then that he will go in his diaper. My question is what do i do if anything to get him to start telling me all the time when he has to go? Thanks you any advice given!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wish I knew how to get them to tell you other than waiting until they are ready. My son would not and would not and art about 3 I just gave up asking him. WHen he was 3.5 I asked him on a whim one day at Target if he would go in the potty if I bought him Cars unders.
    He said yes, and has done the whole potty training thing on his own. (That includes getting there, handling his clothes, flushing wiping, all of it. WIth out any input from me.) I just had to wait until he was 3.5!
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 3:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• continue as is, asking every little bit over the course of a couple/few months, he will start to tell you.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Take him every thirty minutes to see if that works
    keimom

Answer by keimom at 5:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Friends with sons tell me that they often aren't potty trained until 3 and a half. As books will tell u, girls are quicker being potty trained(and there's none of the 'should she stand up or not?' !) but boys sometimes aren't fully potty trained even by the time they start real school, so don't worry. He'll learn when he's ready.
    stace101

Answer by stace101 at 6:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Patience and a lot of practice. My 3 year old son has been the most stubborn child when it comes to potty training unlike his older siblings who were both potty trained before their 3rd birthdays. We finally set up charts for stickers, he gets 1 for pee pee, 2 for poo poo, but it wasn't until we switched babysitters that it really started to kick in for us. My sis-in-law is AMAZING at encouraging him to go all the time! But when your reward is an M&M when you use the potty I guess it helps! Try the reward system, it definately helped our stubborn little guy! Good luck!
    CandyceG

Answer by CandyceG at 6:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011