So, my daughter's never had a donut. Now MIL thinks I am a bad parent.

DD is 4 and didn't know what a donut was at MIL's house yesterday. She tried it and didn't like it. MIL called DH last night screeching that I was ruining her childhood by not giving her donuts and pudding. Now, DH, bless his heart, busted out laughing at her and told her she was crazy.

But, this is bothering me today and I've started analyzing myself. DD eats very healthy, as we all do in our house, and I do allow special treats. She eats a bowl of ice cream every day. She eats M&M's when she has friends over, etc. She just perfers fruits over sugary junk stuff. We'll make cookies occassionally, but she's not a big cookie fan.

Heck, I offered her ice cream as a treat yesterday and she turned it down for a spinach salad. I see nothing wrong with it. But MIL thinks its abonormal.

What do you ladies think? How often do your kiddos have donuts, candy, cookies, pop, etc.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• How can someone be critical of teaching your child healthy eating habits?

I am on your side. I get criticized all the time on not having "goodies" in the house. My family, though, has widespread obesity, heart disease, and diabetes . . . . and they CRITICIZE me for us eating healthy over here. It is just plain crazy.

So, their kids eat tons of sugar and candy . . . . when they come here, they raid my cupboard . . looking for goodies. They throw tantrums when there are no sugar goodies.

Our kids will thank us when they are in their 40's and still have OK cholesterol. If you don't have your health, then what do you have?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think your MIL needs to mind her own business. When you figure out how to get her to do that, please share the secret - I've been trying to get mine to stay out of my business for 18 years!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Lol, clearly YB is kidding...

I think its great, she prefers it, its not like she's begging you for treats and you are making her eat shredded wheat. Its great that her foundation of eating has made it easy for her to make good choices. I know I was much more diligent with that with my 1st, who just fixed herself a giant bowl of strawberries btw, than with my 2nd, who only eats beige food (chicken nuggets, fries, mashed potatoes, bananas, etc....UGH). You mother in law is kooky. I mean, its like she's saying how dare you feed your child healthy foods! Its truly absurd and you have to see this.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it's great that you taught your DD early to eat healthy....my mom tried to pull this with me. She sent an Easter box in the mail and had put peeps in it and she called and asked if I had given my daughter (at the time only 7 months) the peeps yet, I said no, she told me I was mean. I told her that if she wants to give Sophie sugar coated sugar she can do it on her own time, but I know what a nightmare it would be. I do let her try some yummies once in awhile, but I would prefer her to eat healthy things that can help her out at this point.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 3:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The first response was sarcasm, I guarantee it. And funny, might I add. =P Like this:

You're abusing your child! You should have CPS called on you for not feeding your child a donut!

See?

Your MIL is a doofus.
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 3:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I was totally kidding.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 3:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My children prefer fruit to cookies. I've given them a wide variety of foods and they just happen to like healthy choices better. Your MIL is a nut. Your child is fine. I may eat these words one day but I believe that MILs were meant to be ignored.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think that you are doing great as a mother. To many people allow their children to eat junk all day, instead of exposing them to other foods. Eating healthy isn't just about being thin either. It's about maintaining a healthy and balanced body. Your body needs the vitamins and minerals that are in non processed healthy food. You are showing your daughter how to be balanced and she is doing great at that. My DS is 2 and just now tried pudding for the first time. He thinks when we go to the store and he gets a nutragrain bar he is getting a cookie. So what if she didn't know what a donut was. Keep up the good work Mama.

MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 3:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Tell your mother in law that not every child has to be a little piggy over junk food like donuts and cookies. I've given my DD a donut or two and she really doesn't like them. She doesn't even like muffins. That's fine with me. She prefers fruits and vegetables and just the meat without the bread. I wish she'd eat a little more carbs but it's okay if the carbs she refuses are cookies and donuts.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I did really limit the snacks, treats and soda when my kids (especially the older 2) were little. Now that they are older I do let them have soda (maybe 1 a day at most) and I do keep a few snacks in the house.
    I think it is GREAT that your child prefers healthy foods to the 'sugary junk food' (donuts, pudding). Your mil needs to realize that your daughter has a mind of her own and has her own tastes/likes/dislikes, and given the choice she prefers the healthier foods.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011